Chapter 14

➹➹➹

"Uh, h-hey there, Mackenzie," a deep, shy voice filled the hospital room, and I couldn't help the confused expression that flashed across my face as I watched the boy make his way into the room.

The boy held flowers in his hand; roses, to be exact. It was obvious he was nervous, seeing as his sweaty, shaking hands were a quick give-away.

"Sorry, ya know, about what happened, I mean, to you. The accident, and all," he coughed lightly, trying to fill the silence in the room.

I ran a hand through my hair, and it'd be an understatement to say that I was genuinely, pleasantly surprised at my visitor.

The boy sat in the chair next to the hospital bed, awkwardly adjusting himself in his seat.

His eyes roamed around the room until it landed on my unconscious body, and gave me a sad smile.

"What are you grinning about?"

I jumped up a few feet in the air, almost forgetting that Demetri was standing behind me. I placed a hand on my erratically beating heart, making it clear to him that he scared the living hell out of me.

He scoffed at me, strolling to the other side of the hospital room, eyeing the guy that was sitting at my bed side.

Demetri let out a soft chuckle, watching as the guy took off his black, thick-rimmed glasses in attempt to wipe the lenses. I took a moment to stare into the guys light, green eyes before he lost his hand-eye coordination and dropped his glasses on the white tile.

"Gah, darn it," he mumbles, leaning down to pick up what he had dropped.

Demetri' laughed even harder, "Who's this dork?"

I scowled in his direction before my eyes land on the boy again, a soft smile replacing the frown in my face.

"His name's Mason," I say, thinking back to the last time I spoke to him, "He's in my math class. Or at least, he was."

"Okay," Demetri urges on, urging me to go on.

"Okay, nothing. That's it."

He scoffs once more and looks back at Mason, who pulls a small box out of the pocket of his skinny jeans.

I raise an eyebrow and tilt my head a bit, wondering what was in the small, decorated container. I take a step closer, trying to get a better look at what he placed on my bedside table.

Mason clears his throat, "So, I-uh, I never got to give you your birthday present, Mack. I know I'm a bit late," he lets out a small, sad laugh, "but I tried."

Both my eyebrows raise, and I suddenly feel a heavy weight on my heart. I feel tears prickling my eyes but I force myself to hold them in.

Mason lets out a sigh, and I could swear I heard a sniffle coming from him, but I was unsure since he quickly pushed his chair back, causing it to scrape across the tile floor.

The screeching sound it made echoed through the room, making me cringe. Mason ran a hand through his hair frantically and pulled up his pants slightly.

"Uh, well," he leaned down, pressing his lips to my forehead, letting it linger for a bit before putting his lips to my ear, "Happy birthday, Mack."

-
-
-

"So, any progress?"

I looked up from my fingernails I've been nibbling on for the past hour and all I could think of was Mason.

Just the thought of him visiting, even though we weren't close friends, warmed my heart.

I couldn't even get a glimpse of the gift he got me. I mean, how sweet is that?

Not even Clark had come to visit me yet, and I understand that it might've been difficult the first week to see me like this, but he's my best friend.

I jolt out of my bed when I felt a hand on my shoulder, bringing me out of my zoned-out state of mind.

I turned around and see Demetri sitting on my bed with one leg up and his arm resting on it, while the other was rubbing the back of his neck. I'd be lying if I said he didn't look sincerely bored of me.

He raised an eyebrow at me, and I wondered if he had read my mind or not just then.

He leaned back on the bed, keeping one leg up and the other flat. He placed his arm over his eyes, "I didn't read your mind, Mack," he moves his arm up just enough for me to get a look of his smirk and dark eyes, "I'm a man of my word."

I looked away, unsure why I wasn't able to hold eye contact with him for long.

"Mackenzie, are you sure that there's nothing you could do besides," Demetri paused, "You know."

I scoffed, "Wow, such a foreign word to you that you can't even say it."

"Psh, I can say it."

"Then say it."

"Fine, I will."

I rolled my eyes, who knew Death could be such a baby?

I sat up on the bed and grabbed Demetri's arm that was resting on his face, forcing him to look at me, "I'm waiting."

He scoffed and sat up but I didn't move from my spot, causing the distance between us to become paper thin.

I took a sharp breathe, "Say it," I said, and while I intended to sound strong, it only came out as a whisper.

He squinted his eyes at mine, and although he said he was a man of his word, I imagine it must be hard to resist another persons thought, especially in our proximity.

"Why do you want me to say it?" He says, his voice low and I almost didn't catch the question.

We stared at each other for what felt like hours, but in reality, it was barely a minute.

He ran a hand through his hair, and it took all the strength in me not to stare.

To my surprise, he leaned in and I could swear my heart stopped when his nose softly grazed mine. My eyes closed quickly as I noticed my breathing become more shallow.

He softly placed his hand on my cheek, his thumb moving back and forth, and it took all of me not to lean into it.

Suddenly, I felt his lips follow the painfully slow trail from my cheekbone to my ear. I didn't care how obvious I was about how much his touch effected me. I could feel his hot breathe on my ear, until I could barely catch the words coming out of his mouth.

"You need to fall in love, Mackenzie."

And with that, he disappeared from my room, so quickly, I could barely hear the footsteps to the door.

And I just sat there, the only thought in my head and the only feeling in my heart was yearning for him to come back.

And it was a freaking scary thought to me.

-
-
-

Ello lovelies, haven't seen you in a while. I hoped you liked this chapter, even though it was just more of a filler chapter.

But aw, that was sweet of Mason!

And how about Demetri and Mack huh? Huh? Huh? ;)

I love all of you guys, you actually read my story, and you actually like it for some reason, sooo thank you so much!!

Voting and commenting and stuff makes my day!

-Wazzi