Chapter 18

Falling in love isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially not when it's planned.

"'Fall in love,' he says." I mutter to myself. "'It's all you've got to do,' he says."

I pace around my room, but coming to a halt when I heard footsteps behind me.

"I can hear you, you know," Demitri strolls through my room and I watch him as he jumps onto my bed.

He lays on his back and stretches his arms out before landing them behind his head.

I'm so not staring at how the hem of his shirt is lifting and how his arms are flexing. Psh.

"I never said it was easy."

"Well, no shi-"

"I also said that it wasn't the only option," he interrupts me, and I walk over to him slowly, raising a suspicious eyebrow at him.

"Yes," I paused, slowly taking a seat next to him on my bed, "And?"

"And nothing. It's your choice, not mine."

I groaned, irritated by his vague answers, "I don't have time for you to be all mysterious. I have less than 15 days and if I don't do something, I will cease to exist."

I hear him mumble something along the lines of, "I know, I wrote the contract."

I huffed and rubbed my eyes, causing my vision to become all spotty.

It seems as though Demetri knows something I don't. But then again, it almost always feels like that.

But this feels different.

I looked down at my fingers as they fiddled with the sheets of the bed, not knowing how to ask him for his help yet again.

After a long, uncomfortable silence, I hear Demetri groan as he sits up straight. He turns his head my way and sighs.

"We should go back to the hospital. That'll help you understand what I'm trying to tell you."

I groan, shuffling my feet on the floor and letting out a sigh, "Because that's your answer to everything, isn't it?" 

I pushed myself off the bed, my hands running through my hair as I almost felt a faint sign of a migraine drawing near.

Almost instantly, I felt an arm around my waist and another under my legs. It took me a moment to realize Demetri had just carried me bridal style. I looked up to see his face inches from mine, and my heart almost melted at the small smirk that came my way. 

He let out a deep chuckle, "Not everything."

-------------------------------

As soon as we appeared in the hospital, I realized how sick I was of this place. The smell, the bland walls, the sound of the machines echoing through every room. I walked as Demetri led the way, his hands hidden in his pocket and his head held high, as if with purpose. I dragged my feet as I slumped through the hospital halls, passing by a vending machine and I vaguely remembered what it felt like to be hungry. 

If I eat here, will I gain weight? I mean I don't get hungry so maybe the same rules don't apply. Hm. 

I stopped in my tracks as soon as I saw Demetri pause and turn to me with a befuddled look on his face.

"You're on a life or death mission and that is what you're thinking about." My eyebrows raised as I shrugged my shoulder innocently, and I heard him mumble something I assumed to be an insult as he turned back around and resumed his pace.