Chapter 20

Mackenzie's POV

"Ahem-, so," I heard a light chuckle coming from Demetri, who was awkwardly facing the bookshelves that we so aggressively smashed ourselves against not too long ago.  My mind flickered back to what we were just doing and I had to keep myself from releasing a sigh from just the thought of our kiss.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't help the millions of questions that were running through my brain, but there was one that echoed loud enough in my head for both Demetri and me to hear.

What the hell just happened?

We both shot up, our eyes immediately meeting and honestly, we both look like deer caught in the headlights. I would have laughed if it weren't for the looming fact that we have to deal with our little...hookup

"Okay, obviously, that was totally and completely in the moment," I laughed nervously, "I'm sure this happens all that time, psh, you know, limbo hookups and all. We can pretend it never even happened, because nothing did, right? Right?"

I was talking in circles, not even giving Demetri enough time to process any of the nonsense that I had just blurted out. He quickly cut me off when he saw my mouth about to open, and honestly, I was relieved. God knows what else I would've said.

"Well, that was...nice."

Nice? Nice? How rude.

I would've been more worked up over him only commenting nice on my kissing skills if it weren't for the fact that for the first time since I've been here, Demetri was at a loss for words. I didn't really know how to respond to his comment, so I decided to instead just stare him down, slightly enjoying the fact that he, for once, has no clue what to do.

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and say what we just did was probably against the rules," I stated, slowly getting him to make eye contact with me. His eyes finally met mine and as soon as they did, he let out a deep chuckle.

"Good guess," he muttered in between his nervous laughter, which slowly began to die down as the look of sadness washed over his face. And for a moment, I prayed I wouldn't catch so much as a flicker of regret in his eyes. But it wasn't regret, it was almost sorrow. My fingers traced my lips as I tried to muster up the courage to ask what kind of trouble this could cause for both me and Demetri, but before I could even find a way to phrase my question, he was out the office door. 

My feet automatically begin to move, lightly jogging after him in hopes of finding some answers. 

"Demetri, where the hell do you think you're going?" I call after him, making him slow down for a brief moment. He turned his head, his eyes meeting mine long enough for me to understand that he didn't have the answers to my questions. My gaze drops to the ground as I retreat back to my room, praying that this wasn't another good thing I managed to screw up.

__________

I tried to distract myself, thinking about the countdown and more importantly, not thinking about that kiss. Unfortunately every time my mind finally begins to wander away, the sudden flashback of Demetri's hands around my waist and him pulling me in close creeps in. My brain keeps pushing me to ask the same questions--did he feel what I felt?  He must have. The intensity of the kiss and how much I needed him at that moment--I've never felt anything that strong, and frankly, kind of scary in my life. But what's scaring me the most is how much I want to feel it all over again. 

I shook my head, praying that it would make those thoughts physically fall out of it. There was no point in letting this consume me. Soon enough, I'll be back in the real world and I won't even remember him.