The best

"You know, if we leave the source Zayum will undoubtedly try to absorb it's power." Valkyrie said.

"If we're lucky... It will kill him."

"And if we're not?" Carol didn't answer. They both knew what would happen if it didn't kill him, or at least they thought they did.

"It might not give him powers. You're normal right?"

"I just withstood a presumably large amount of energy then proceeded to fight like I was in any other fight. Stronger than any other fight maybe, that is not normal." Valkyrie argued.

"But you don't have powers?" Carol checked.

"I wouldn't know how to check."

"Val."

"No, I don't have powers... Unfortunately." She muttered. "Put me down." Valkyrie said suddenly. Carol flew down and released Valkyrie from her grip. She raced over a steep hill as soon as she touched the ground.

"Val?" Carol shouted but she got no reply. Chasing after her, she immediately saw what Valkyrie spotted and smiled at her.

"You ditching me for the pegasus?" Valkyrie laughed and continued to stroke the pegasus' soft maine.

Carol kept glancing up at the ships and across at the forest border. No  surprise attacks. No traps. No complications.

"Valkyrie." She said still looking at the ships in the distance.

"Yeah."

"Are you OK?" Carol asked cautiously.

"I'm alive." Valkyrie said plainly.

"That's not what I asked." Valkyrie went silent for a moment, thinking of what to say.

"I don't like being the victim and I don't like being saved. But you did... You saved me. And you didn't make me feel like shit for it- well aside from the unbearable pain." Valkyrie joked motioning to her stomach.

Carol took a nervous deep breath in and turned half her body to Valkyrie, still unsure of what to say. She looked Valkyrie in the eye in hopes for some guidance, she needed it.

"That was brave, everything you did. You fought even with the poison in your system. You didn't want us to go home for you. And you're here right now, infront of me, ready to fight the battle you didn't have to. It's pretty amazing... You're amazing." She took a cautious step towards Valkyrie who stood frozen to the spot.

"I don't think I've ever met someone as stubborn as me." Carol continued. "But I'm really glad I did. I couldn't of done this without you. You helped me more than I think you realise. You matter to me. I know I haven't known you that long but I'm a great judge of character and I really like what I do know. I wanna know you more. I want to be around you more and god..." Carol took one final step towards Valkyrie. They were so close. Carol took one shaking breath in. "I really wanna kiss you." They both held their breaths.

"I wouldn't stop you." Valkyrie said finally, locking their eyes. Steadily, Carol wrapped a hand around Valkyrie's neck pulling them closer until she finally connected their lips, moving her free hand to Valkyrie's waist. Carol pulled their lips apart and scanned Valkyrie's face for any signs. She let out a long sigh with her eyes closed and a smile spread across her lips.

Carol didn't hesitate to bring them together again. Valkyrie held Carol's waist and back making them as close as they could be. They both felt the electricity between them and continued the kiss, only stopping for breath. Their lips danced together in perfect sync.

A million emotions flooded through Valkyrie's mind in the moment she treasured. It was too precious to ever forget, especially the pure happiness Valkyrie hadn't felt in a while.

Carol was overjoyed to say the least. She'd wanted to kiss Valkyrie since she collapsed in her arms. The moment she thought she was going to loose her was the moment she needed her most.

The pair eventually broke apart, resting their foreheads together as they gasped for air. Valkyrie linked her hands around Carol's neck under her long hair and slowly opened her eyes.

"I've wanted to do that for a while." Carol admitted.

"Then what took you so long?"

"I know, I'm the worst." Carol smiled.

"No." Valkyrie said placing a light kiss on Carol's lips. "You're the best."

There was a faint sound of stampeding fighters charging through the forest in the distance that the pair heard immediately.

"Can't they just give us five minutes!" Carol huffed.

"We'll have a lot longer than that when this is over."