Fire

"Alright." Carol said calmly and nodded towards the source that continued to glow brightly. Zayum instead strolled towards the power box a few meters away.

"I have to change the structure of the energy. It should make it as easy to absorb and stable as possible but..." He trailed off, not wanting to repeat himself.

"If the energy is so dangerous why do you want to absorb it so bad." Carol asked, still holding Valkyrie in her arms.

"Because if it works I will be able to protect my people." He said plainly as he started to fiddle with the controls.

"Are you at war?"

"No, but it would be a deterrent. Earth has those doesn't it?"

"Earth isn't always the best example to follow." After a minute Zayum gradually stood up with his back still to Carol.

"It's done. Take her over." Carol cautiously carried Valkyrie to the source and prayed it would save her.

Once they were a couple of steps away the energy reached out to them, encouraging Carol further in. The yellow and blue lights flickered around her and swerved together. Carol was transfixed by the display and continued walking towards it, drowning out the world around her. The energy was the only thing she could focus on until a voice screamed her name and she snapped back to reality.

"Carol!" Zayum boomed. "Drop her and run!" He continued. Carol followed his guidance and placed Valkyrie on the floor as gently and quickly as possible. She jumped away from the energy's reach just in time to see it latch onto Valkyrie's unconscious body.

Steadily, the source lifted her into the air so she hovered a few inches off the ground. Carol couldn't look away. The energy was definetly being absorbed and she could only hope Valkyrie's body was strong enough to handle it. Who am I kidding? Of course she can handle it. Carol thought to herself confidently.

Strike after strike the energy hit Valkyrie in what looked like a brutal attack. There was a light hum that sounded like an electric fence at that centre of the noice. Over that there were sudden phases of a louder whirs every time the energy struck Valkyrie.

Beams of light clung to her whilst others jumped in and out of her chest. It seemed to mainly be attracted to the area of the poison, which Carol took as a good sign. There was a blinding yellow light as bright as the sun permanently in that one spot.

Suddenly, Valkyrie's eyes shot open as she gasped. Her usually deep brown eyes were now bright yellow, reminding Carol of her own at full power.

"Pull her out!" Zayum demanded.

"What?" Carol yelled.

"Any more will kill her! Pull her out!" Zayum yelled. Carol raced towards the source and tried to pull at Valkyrie's armor but the energy was strong. She used all her strength but Carol quickly realised muscle wouldn't work.

"Fight fire with fire." Carol declared before shooting a photon blast into the centre of the source, past Valkyrie. The energy released Valkyrie in an instant and they both tumbled to the ground. Carol stood up promptly and lifted her away from the source and sat her against a tree.

Valkyrie started coughing frantically and doubled over, clenching her stomach. After a minute of constant coughing Valkyrie looked up at Carol who cupped her face with both hands.

"I'm OK." She said triumphantly. Carol was both relieved and surprised by Valkyrie's sudden strength. "How?" She asked, suddenly remembering everything that had happened.

"It doesn't matter." Carol lied. "But now that you're alright I can say I told you so." Valkyrie smiled at her with the familiar spark Carol had missed so much. She slowly lowered her hands from Valkyrie's face and placed them in her hands.

"Yeah I guess you can."

"Whoa, did you just admit I'm right?" Carol said in a shocked voice.

"Don't get used to it." Valkyrie warned. She looked towards Zayum who stared at the source in a trance. "Lets finish this." She said getting up from the ground and separating their hands.

"No." Zephin grunted to the left of them. He leant against a tree weakly and held a gun towards the two. "You'll have to deal with them too." Zephin said glancing towards the sky.

Both following Zephin's gaze, Carol and Valkyrie instantly saw what Zephin was referring to. Looming over them in the darkening sky was the rest of the heavily armed Daeleknux fleet of ships.

"You have got to be kidding me!"