No clue

Valkyrie watched as the morning sun rose higher into the sky, brightening the scene around around them and casting an orange light on Carol's face. Valkyrie looked over at her friend, who slept peacefully, and formed a small smile.

All night the only thing Valkyrie thought about was the poison flowing through her body. She'd pictured the black veins rapidly spreading across her chest and appearing on her neck, choking her to death.

She couldn't help but think about Carol's reaction. Would she be horrified? Would it matter to her as much as she thought it would? Countless questions whirled around Valkyrie's brain. Her head was spinning and she felt sick.

Valkyrie quickly turned away from Carol when she started to stire and felt her toes hit her when she stretched.

Valkyrie could feel Carol's eyes on her back.

"You plaited your hair again." Carol stated. Valkyrie smiled and turned to look at her again. She nodded.

"It looks nice. Wait..! You didn't wake me to do the lookout thing..." Carol mumbled, still half asleep.

"I wasn't tired." She lied. "I could tell you were."

Carol struggled to sit up because of the numerous blankets that had tangled themselves around her body. Valkyrie watched with amusement as Carol fought to free herself.

"Need a hand?" She chuckled.

"Nope. I got it." Carol said as she pulled a blanket over her head. Valkyrie bit her lip to stiffle a laugh.

Carol rubbed her eyes and faced Valkyrie with a confused expression.

"You still have your armor on?" Carol said sleepily.

"Why, did you want me to take it off?" She smirked.

"Get over yourself." Carol said reaching for another pillow to throw at Valkyrie before realising it was inside.

Valkyrie stood up promptly and extended an arm out for Carol. She grabbed it and almost jumped to her feet at Valkyrie's strength.

"Seriously though, do you not have any normal clothes under there." Carol asked.

"Do you have any under your suit?" Carol paused and looked at Valkyrie with a glimmer in her eyes.

"Wouldn't you like to know." She said before strolling into the shelter. Quit messing with me. Valkyrie thought.

A moment later Carol emerged with Dragonfang held in her hand.

"We should find a river or stream. And in case there's any surprises," she tossed the sword to Valkyrie who grasped the handle quickly, "we'll be prepared." Carol started to walk east and Valkyrie hesitantly followed.

"You have no idea where you're going, do you?"

"No clue." Carol said in confidence.

***

"Wow, that's actually pretty smart."

"I know."

"I'll remember it next time we fight them. No weapons: strong. Swords: clever. Guns: fast."

"You got it. Learning someone's strategy can mean victory comes a lot quicker." Valkyrie said. "And sometimes easier."

"I never really considered it before."

"What kind of a captain are you?" Valkyrie paused suddenly and turned to Carol in surprise. "Is that?"

"Yep." The two approached the stream, trickling down a hill. The water seemed clear and fresh on the stones beneath it.

"If you just keep walking eventually you'll find a water source." Carol stated simply.

"We only walked for half an hour."

"Guess we're just lucky." Carol smiled.

You might be. Valkyrie thought.

Carol held her hand in the stream and let the water gently flow around it. Valkyrie did the same and scanned their surroundings.

"Relax. We're fine." Carol said. Valkyrie nodded but wasn't convinced.

Ever since the attack she was constantly on guard. Berhert started to seem more and more hostile by the minute and she knew it would only get worse.