I promise

Dragonfang hit the tree with a satisfying thud, hitting the painted target perfectly. Not a moment later she pulled a sharpened knife from her leg holds on her leather jeans and flung it swiftly to the tree.

Her outfit was perfect for training and small combat as the light weight, dark blue, chest armour didn't restrain her agileness but still protected her from blades. But it was nothing compared to her Valkyrie armour.

Valkyrie jumped off the ledge to receive her weapons, looking around the forest to check if she was alone.

Ever since Thor started staying indoors playing video games with Korg and Meik, Valkyrie found herself taking on Thor's responsibilities without a second thought.

Sometimes she needed a break from it. An escape.

Leadership wasn't knew to her, but every time she made an important decision she had flashbacks of leading the Valkyries into battle. Sometimes to victory. Sometimes not. The regrets lived with her every day and she was petrified of making those mistakes again.

Grabbing the handle of her ancient sword, Valkyrie smoothly pulled it from the tree and swung it lightly in her hand. Fighting definitely came naturally to her. That she wound never doubt.

A sudden snap of twigs alerted Valkyrie suddenly. She instinctively raised Dragonfang towards the sound and readied herself to fight.

"Whoa! Hey, I come in peace." Vandil assured holding his hands above his face. Valkyrie sighed and lowered her sword.

"Sorry, I just..."

"Get jumpy when you train. Yeah I know, my bad." Vandil said with a smile. "You seem to come out here more and more. Need a partner?" He offered.

Valkyrie smiled. A partner would be different but not as appealing as it once was.

"Thanks, but no. I was just about to head in." She looked at the orange horizon glowing past the trees. "It's getting dark."

Vandil nodded promptly, studying her face. He could read right through her, she knew it.

She pulled her knife from the tree a little too harshly and strolled to Vandil's side. They both walked back to the town in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Until Valkyrie spoke.

"So why'd you come out here? Did you need me?"

"You're not the only one who needs to escape every once in a while." He stated with a hint of sadness in his voice. Valkyrie wasn't good at    comforting friends but she knew she should ask.

"You doing OK?" She asked with a slight sympathetic tone.

He looked up away from Valkyrie and shrugged quickly.

"I have to be, for Iric." Neither said anything for a while. Valkyrie didn't know what to say and she could tell he was thinking about the part of his  family he lost.

"Maybe, but you're aloud to feel emotions too." She said, hoping her words had some comfort. They didn't.

"I hear him cry every night Valkyrie." He burst out. "Usually Thyre dealt with things like that. Me? I'm clueless. I dont know what to say." He looked away again clearly trying to hide his emotions and failing due to his shaky voice.

"You don't have to say anything. Being there is enough." Vandil turned to her with a tear brimming in his eye and nodded.

As they continued Valkyrie didn't hug him or tell him his wife and daughter would return home safe. Because she didn't want to make a promise she couldn't keep. If she was helping the Avengers bring back half of humanity it could give the Asgardians hope. But she wasn't sure she could leave. She didn't think even that would make Thor take charge again.

As if he read her mind Vandil spoke up.

"How's Thor?" He asked. Valkyrie wasn't sure what she should say. Would it be OK to tell him Thor was playing a video game all day in a dark room that smelled like unwashed men?

"He's...getting by." She instantly cringed at her words.

"You make it sound like he's in danger."

"Of getting diabetes maybe." She mumered.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Vandil looked at Valkyrie with a puzzled expression.

"It's complicated." Was the best she could come up with. Vandil could tell she was struggling and decided to drop it. Valkyrie silently thanked him.

They reached the edge of town and Vandil slowed to a stop so Valkyrie did the same.

"Can I ask you something?" Vandil said abruptly. Valkyrie instantly became nervous.

"Um sure."

"You have to be honest." She paused for a moment.

"What is it?"

"Do you think they'll come back." Vandil said plainly, looking her in the eye. Valkyrie thought about her answer before responding.

"I think if we give up theres no chance of it happening. We have to try."

"Try what? We're not doing anything." He snapped. Valkyrie looked around cautiously. There was no one on the edge of town. They were alone.

"Not now. But the first chance we get, we'll do something. I'll do something... I promise." She said with more confidence than she felt. Vandil studied her face again before giving a tight nod.

To Valkyrie's surprise he turned sharply and marched towards his house without another word. I promise. Replayed in her head. Did he believe her? She kept her promises, but what would this one cost?

She watched Vandil disappear from sight. Was that a promise she should of made?