Space trip

"But you weren't dating?"

"No!" Carol erupted. "We were just friends. Best friends."

"Who raised a child together?"

"She called me Auntie!" Valkyrie laughed at the other girls frustration.

"OK, OK. But still this Maria person sounds great." Carol's annoyed grin slowly turned to a sad smile.

"She was."

Shit. Did I hit a nerve. Valkyrie felt uncomfortable. She didn't know what to do or say next so she kept her eyes firmly locked on the window.

"The snap got her... And Monica." She spoke.

"Sorry." Valkyrie shifted in her seat.

"What about you?" Carol asked, changing the subject.

"Me? You wanna go back two thousand years or just to last Tuesday?" Valkyrie could of sworn Carol's jaw hit the floor.

"I know, I'm looking good for three thousand." Carol just stared ahead for a while. It was the longest she'd ever heard her be quiet for. It was strange.

"Three thousand." Carol eventually repeated. "I bet you have a few stories. Can you tell me the one about your tattoo?" Carol nodded towards her wrist. She noticed it?

"Who says there's a story behind it." Carol didn't say anything and instead watched her expression. She was starting to enjoy not flying.

"It's the Valkyrie symbol." Carol frowned.

"There's a symbol for your name?"

"No, alright this is where it might get confusing. My actual name is Brunnhilde but people call me Valkyrie because I am one. The last one." She paused for a moment as Carol sat patiently, not wanting to push her.

"The Valkyrie's were female warriors that were sworn to protect the throne. I was chosen by Odin to lead the Valkyries." Carol could tell Valkyrie had leadership qualities, but she hadn't expected this.

"It was great, until someone very powerful turned on the throne. Odin's own daughter, Hela. Goddess of Death. Odin was able to capture her temporarily but..." Valkyrie shook her head. "I was the only one to get out alive. I couldn't stay after that. So I travelled for a while untill I found somewhere." She took a deep breath in, steadying herself.

"Then Thor came along and dragged me back to Asgard for round two. She's gone now, Hela. For good." She didn't need to say anymore. When Carol met Thor the first time she learnt what happened after that. She guessed it was too far for Valkyrie to go. She respected that.

Valkyrie glanced at the now quiet Carol. She now had her full body turned towards her and had her feet up on the seat. Her elbow was on the head rest and her head was resting against her hand.

She hadn't interrupted her at all or pushed her. Yet Valkyrie found she'd revealed more about herself to Carol in the last few minutes than she had to anyone in two thousand years.

"So do you want me to call you Brunnhilde?"

That's it? No more questions about Hela or the Valkyries she led to their deaths? Valkyrie smiled gratefully.

"I don't mind." Carol nodded.

"Brunnhilde?" She said as if she were trying it out. "Valkyrie..? They're both great names." She concluded.

"Thanks."

When Carol first met Valkyrie she could tell there was something about her. Now she knew she was just a fighter still in pain. But there was more. A lot more.

She was also a closed book. One that Carol had managed to pry open a little. And she hoped she would be able to look a little more.