season 1 | chapter 05

SHE AWOKE EMPTY on the inside

The morning alarm reverberated in the room. With her head buried under the warmth of her blanket, Lyla pulled reluctantly a hand out, searching for her phone on the nightstand beside her bed. She pressed the circular button and tapped her index finger on the middle of the screen, pausing the piercing sound that made her ears bleed.

Delaying her wake up call for another ten minutes was useful. She could stretch out her legs and hands, soft breaths leaving her lips as she enjoyed the comfort of rolling from one side to the other without a nuisance.

That would be if the door hadn't opened and if she hadn't heard the footsteps of her sister walking closer to the window, prepared to ruin every bit of a dreamy, undisturbed morning. Melanie pushed the curtains aside, giving Lyla the excuse to pull the covers above her head.

"You're going to be late," Mel said, crossing her arms. She was a year younger than Lyla and grounded when it came to taking responsibilities.

It wasn't as if Lyla was irresponsible. She wasn't, and most of the time she carried weights on her shoulders that didn't belong to her.

It was just her and time would never click.

"I know," Lyla grumbled, wishing there was a way to turn back time into the night.

Mel raised an eyebrow, waiting for her sister to realize another day started and she couldn't stay in bed forever. A sliver of hope bloomed within her when Lyla began to move, unsure if she could process the fact she listened to her for once.

Lyla shifted her butt and turned to the other side, earning a perfected eye roll from Mel. Of course, it wouldn't be easy. "You don't have to flash your ass in my face first thing in the morning."

"My ass is lovely, thank you very much." Came Lyla's muffled voice underneath the covers.

Mel sighed, her shoulders slumping and shook her head. There had to be a way to get her out of the sanctuary of her bed.

She was about to retrace her footsteps out of Lyla's room when she caught a glimpse of her sister's notebook on the desk, eyes glinting with mischief. Lyla was not going to like her having a peek at her descriptions of hot, fictional men.

"Alright, do what you want." She pretended resignation and made to head out. She reached the doorframe and placed her elbow on the surface, watching amused as Lyla stared at her, the blanket covering half of her face.

"But you have to stop using piercing blue eyes whenever you introduce a male character with the specific eye color in a story."

Lyla removed the covers, her jaw slack. Melanie did not just say that.

She parted her lips to retort when her brain started to function. Mel had gone through her notebook.

"You read my notes!" she scowled, placing the blanket aside.