pied piper

Rose POV

I didn't know how, but time flew by and soon it was two weeks until Christmas. BTS had taken off the month of December from work, and they were visiting their parents and family in Korea, before coming to visit us for Christmas and New Year's at our house in Ireland.

I had gotten my license, as had Euphoria, so we were consistently going out and getting Christmas gifts and decorations.

I was out by myself, getting Christmas lights, garlands and other decorations for my room, walking out of the store door with my bags to my car, when I heard a tiny mewing. I paused, then went and put my bags in the car then went back to the door, looking around for the mewing source. I found it, in a cardboard box.

Inside the cardboard box were several kittens, as well as a sleeping calico cat, doubtless the mother. As I looked at them, snow started fluttering down around me, and my heart hurt as I saw the mother cat shivering.

"Well, it's a good thing we live in a mansion, or you guys wouldn't be so lucky." I said, picking up the box carefully. I closed the top and carried it to my car, where I set it on the floor of the passenger seat, then I got in the driver seat.

I drove first to the vet, managed to adopt them legally and get them their shots, picked up cat food, bedding and some litter boxes. I purposely got everything without telling the girls, so they would have no reason to say no to keeping them. Then I started the two hour long drive from the city to our home, listening to BTS on the way home which somehow kept the kittens quiet.

I brought my gifts and decorations into my room first, without being noticed, then I carefully went inside with the kittens, trying to get into the kitchen without being noticed, but Honey was sitting on the counter with a cup of tea in her hand, watching me with an eyebrow raised. I froze, avoiding looking her in the eye.

"Heeeeeyyy, Honey." I said, shifting my weight from foot to foot, hoping she wouldn't ask what was in the box. But, one of the kittens mewed loudly, and I groaned. Honey put her cup down, slid off the counter and stood in front of me. She opened the box, and one of the two calico kittens launched herself at Honey. She caught the tiny animal, staring at her silently for a few minutes. I couldn't tell what she was thinking, until the kitten started licking Honey's hand that was holding her. Then Honey started smiling, and my heart felt like it was gonna melt.

Honey looked at me, then, holding the kitten gently against her chest, went out of the kitchen. I set down the box and sat by it, listening to Honey talk to Valeria who was in the next room.

"Val, Rose brought back kittens and we need to keep them." She said matter of factly, and I had to stifle a laugh.

"What, why?" Valeria asked, clearly confused.

"Go look at them and you'll get it." Honey replied.

"Hey where are you going with the kitten?!" Valeria called.

"To my room to show her where she is going to live for the rest of her life." Honey replied, again with a very matter of fact tone of voice. I barely had time to start laughing before I heard a chorus of my sisters' voices saying,

"Kittens?! Where?!" Valeria sighed and said,

"Apparently in the kitchen. Come on, let's go meet our new residents." They all came into the kitchen, and picked out for themselves each kitten that got attached to them. None of the kittens chose Valeria, but once all the kittens were gone, except mine which was sleeping on my lap, the mother cat woke up. She looked around, then got up slowly and climbed gracefully out of the box. She looked at all of my sisters, then stared at Valeria for two minutes without blinking. Valeria held out her hand for the mama cat to sniff, which she did, then the cat walked onto her lap, rubbed against Valeria's stomach, climbed onto her shoulders and laid herself comfortable over my sister's shoulders, purring loudly as she licked Valeria's shirt.