𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 1: 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗛𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘀

Draco Malfoy was no ordinary wizard. He was born with three hearts printed on his left arm. His parents didn't know what the hearts symbolized, but the Healers then told them that the hearts each symbolize a life. If someone breaks Draco's heart, one of the hearts bleeds and disappears. If all of them disappeared, you can probably guess what will happen after that. The two parents were shocked. They both decided to keep the secret from their beautiful child until he turned 11.

Draco tries his best to keep away from falling in love so he doesn't get hurt, but he feels embarrassed about the fact that someone can kill him just by breaking his heart three times.

Then Harry Potter came to Hogwarts, and things became different.

~~~~~~~~~~

Draco Malfoy inhaled the sweet aroma of the Malfoy Manor backyard. Sitting down, he threw another rock and watched it skid across the lake.

Draco had a confusing life, to say the least. It's not everyday you hear someone say that they could die from getting their heart broken. Literally.

"I shouldn't be this worried," he would always say to himself. "I can take care of my feelings easily. This will be easy."

Then Malfoy really gave it some thought. What if he does fall in love someday? What if that person leaves? What would happen to his arm when his mother and father are gone? Pansy and Blaise? How would he feel?

At this, Draco became more distant. Not speaking as much, not participating in watching his father do spells, sometimes not even eating his usual dessert. He tried to avoid hanging out with Pansy and Blaise without being rude.

But it was hard, of course.

The only place that he could truly gather his feelings was this very backyard. He didn't know what was so special about it; the smell, the big tree in the front, the sound of the lake gently rippling from the wind, or the delicious apples. Must be the apples.

Draco rubbed his forehead. "No kid should deserve to go through this," he overheard his mother saying one night. "Why must it be our son?"

"We will find something to help him, I promise you," his father responded. "I will stop at nothing to save my son. But for now, he has to try and contain his feelings."

"And sending him to Hogwarts is going to help?" his mother questioned, sounding exhausted.

"Narcissa, we've talked about this," his father responded. "He needs to have other people to hold onto other than just us. You know that. He wouldn't even look at Pansy in the eye anymore."

Silence.

"He deserves more than this," Draco's mother spoke, her voice breaking. "He deserves the world."

The man pulled her into a tight hug. "And so we shall give him the world," he says as he faces the woman. "But first, we have to prepare him for it."

"And what will we do if something happens?"

"We will be there, Cissa. We'll be by his side."

Malfoy was snapped out of his thoughts as he heard footsteps.
His father.

Lucius Malfoy sat next to his son. "Hello, Draco."

Draco threw another rock and nodded at Lucius as he sat down. "Father."

Lucius looked at the boy. His eyes were a cloudy gray, almost as if a storm were about to appear. He sighed and patted Draco's back.

"You're going to do fine."

"I'm not so sure about that," the 11-year-old scoffed. "I can't even look Pansy in the eye anymore."

"I know that," Lucius said. "And I know that you probably don't want this-"

"Well what am I supposed to say?" Draco says, on the verge of crying. "I want to be able to see someone and not be afraid if they'll leave me. I don't want to die by having my heart broken three times. I want to be normal!"

While his father stayed silent, Draco then sighed heavily. "It's not fair."

"I know it's not, son," Lucius ruffled Draco's soft, bleached-colored hair. "But you must protect yourself."

Draco sighed and stood up. "I can't do this."

Then, Lucius stood up. He placed his hand on Draco's shoulder. "Do not give up, my dragon. You must not lower your self-esteem."

The boy wasn't sure how that was going to help, but he didn't have enough time to think as his mother yelled from the manor.

"Love! Draco!" Narcissa calls from the kitchen inside. "Dinner is ready!"

Lucius wrapped an arm around Draco's shoulders. "Let's go."