Happy New Year, My Love

"Happy New Year!!!!!!" The ball dropped as the voice on the television shouted this familiar phrase, and Stef and Lena clinked glasses of champagne. Throwing back the cool liquid, Lena grabbed Stef into her lap.

"Kiss me," she whispered as she cupped her fiancé's face in her hands. The women kissed like they never had before as Stef's fingers buried in Lena's curls.

"Yum," Stef winked as she stroked her face. "Are you happy? Hmm?"

"I am. And it's okay that you asked me first," Lena leaned in and kissed Stef once more as she moved to straddle her woman. Stef whimpered now as Lena ran her feather light finger tips down her bare arms.

"Ya?" Stef finally managed after some time of making out. "You're not upset it ruined your plans?"

"No. Why would I be? We had the same idea!" Lena grabbed Stef's hand then and ran her fingers over the ring she had placed on her finger earlier in the evening. "This looks so good on your hand, baby. Do you like it?"

"Yes, I do," Stef smiled as she grabbed Lena's left hand and linked it with hers. She looked from one hand to the next as she admired the engagement rings they had given each other. "So it'll be Adams Foster, no hyphen, yes?"

"Yes," Lena's cheeks flushed at the thought. "I still can't believe we're engaged...I almost lost you," she reminisced.

"I don't think I ever would have stayed with Ren. I mean, I was trying to move on, but I don't think we would have lasted anyway," Stef laughed awkwardly as she remembered the woman who started this entire thing between her and Lena.

"And I don't think Amber and I would have stayed together for ever either. She really had checked out long before I did. I mean I tried..."

"I know you did, babe. But this here," she pointed between them. "Between me and you? This is the real deal."

*Flashback*

Stef ran her shaky fingers over her warm cheeks as she looked at herself in the bathroom mirror. It was now or never, and she knew this is what she always wanted. Running lip gloss over her soft pink lips, she took a deep breath before returning to the table with their friends.

"Are you okay?" Lena whispered as she sat beside her once more.

"Uhhh, yes. Why wouldn't I be?" Stef answered shakily.

"You look like you don't feel well. Do you want to leave?"

"Oh, no. Dessert should be out soon."

Lena sat back and laughed. "I'm stuffed, but I think I have room for my favorite red velvet cupcake."

The waitress soon came to the table with the dessert tray so she could show what the restaurant was offering for the evening. Lena sat forward to listen even if she knew what she wanted. As the waitress took everyone's order, Stef took a giant gulp of her wine.

Before long the desserts came out, but as the waitress handed Lena hers, Stef moved to wait for her to see the ring which was on top. Lena didn't see it at first, but as she grabbed it to remove the paper, the sparkle of the diamond caught her eye.

Her mouth dropped open as she looked to Stef who was now down on one knee. "Steffff!!!!" She was in so much shock, she didn't see her grab the ring and wipe off the icing.

"Lena Adams, I am so in love with you, you have no idea. And I think I've loved you since the day I laid eyes on you. You were worth the wait, but I'd love to spend the rest of my life trying to show you just how much I love you and want to make you happy. Will you marry me?"

Lena nodded as she brought both hands to her mouth, tears streaming down her face. "Yes!" She finally managed as Stef held up to ring. It took a second, but Lena soon held out her hand as Stef slid it on, and everyone cheered as they kissed.

"Stef?" Lena finally came to her senses.

"Yes?" She smiled as she brought her new fiancé to sit in her lap and kissed her cheek. "What is it, baby?"

Lena reached over and grabbed her small purse before pulling out a small box. "I had planned to ask you after we were all finished. I was going to stand and give a speech, and..."

"Oh, my love!" Stef was floored because she had no idea, and Lena motioned for the waitress to bring the expensive bottle of champagne she had previously ordered.

"It's okay. It really is, but," Lena got up and knelt as well. "Stefanie Foster, you have been my best friend for years, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have a solid friendship underneath all of this love. I only regret I didn't realize I loved you sooner, but now I have you. Will YOU marry me?" She giggled as she held out the ring.

"Yes! Yes, I'll marry you!" Lena slid the ring on Stef's finger as the blonde pulled her to her feet and lifted her off the ground, twirling her around. "You are so...amazing!" She breathed as they soon stopped and they kissed once more.

*Flashback Ends*

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Lena smiled once more as she gently laid Stef back on the couch. Kissing down her neck, Stef moaned as she scratched over Lena's back.

"Lena..."

"We're only just getting started," Lena murmured as she removed Stef's tank top.

"Happy New Year, my love," Stef pulled Lena up to look at her, running her thumb over Lena's full lips.

"I plan on ringing in the new year the right way," Lena grinned, and Stef groaned as she brought her lips to her lover's planning to join her. Lena had chosen her....STEF...and she didn't ever want to take that for granted. It had been a bumpy road, but they hoped they were now on more stable ground. This new year was a fresh start, a way for them to start with a new slate and to prepare for their future together.

********

Sorry it took so long to finish this holiday fic! Christmas in July made it possible! Again, thanks for the endless support you all give. Merry Christmas!😃