Trick or Treat?

*Lena*

"Did you remember the Malbec?" I run a brush through my straightened hair as I look in the mirror at Amber. Her red hair is nearly braided to the side as she once again is Dorothy , rebooted.

"Of course! You've asked me this at least five times already," I snap at my girlfriend who in turn, rolls her eyes at me.

"Ok. I don't know what the problem is, but we're hosting this party tonight! You said it would be okay every single time I've asked..."

"It's nothing. You're right," I brush past her to our big walk-in closet to grab my outfit as I am to be Cat Woman. Ironic that Stef wouldn't show up to be Batman. For as long as I can remember, ever since I met her at a Halloween party, and I was Little Red Riding Hood while she was dressed as the Wolf, we always thought to coordinate our costumes. Amber thought it was funny. She called Stef my little puppy dog in jest, but now that I think about it, maybe she was jealous after all and had been lying to me all along.

"Don't forget the cheese curds I picked up yesterday!" She calls after me, but I just nod and hold up a thumbs up sign as I disappear into the closet. Sighing, I bury my face in the fabric of my costume, willing my heart to stop hurting. As a matter of fact, my whole body hurts. I'd rather be in bed, with her, drinking wine, eating ice cream and watching Hocus Pocus than show up to my own party right now. It just wasn't the same without Stef.

——————

"You have got to be kidding me! Stef has a girlfriend and hasn't brought her around to show off yet?" Jenna nudges me in disbelief as I nod.

"Yep!"

"And you, missy! Even you have been holding out on us!"

I jerk my attention to her full force now as I squint my eyes, "Huh?" What did Jenna know? Was I too obvious? Oh my god! I think I'm gonna be sick!

"You didn't tell us, either, silly! All this time you knew and kept your best friend's secret!"

I blush as I sip my wine and laugh softly, "Oh, right! Well, you know Stef. She's private and made me promise!"

Jenna rolls her eyes as she holds up her glass, "To Stef and Ryan!"

I hold up mine as I correct her, "To Stef and Ren!"

----------------------

*Stef*

I run my fingers through my hair as I straighten my denim shirt in the airport bathroom mirror. If I'm completely honest with myself, I'm not so sure why I actually got on that plane a couple of hours ago, but here I am, in Sacramento, and that's just how it's gonna be for now. I pick up my cell phone and see there are no new texts or phone calls before shoving it in my back pocket. Running my fingers once more through my waves, I pick up my carry-on bag and head towards the entrance where I'm supposed to meet Ren.

Keeping my head down, I roll my small suitcase behind me as I try to block the events of last night...with Lena. I accidentally run into someone, and look up abruptly, "Oh, sorry," I mumble as an elderly woman tells me to watch it while spewing out a couple of cuss words in the mix.

"I said I was sorry, lady!" I snap as my face turns red, and I continue towards the entrance. But I stop when I'm halfway there and pull out my phone once more. Tonight is Lena and Amber's big Halloween bash, and I feel just awful missing it. I really do, and as I scroll to her name, I stare at it for several seconds before sending a quick text.

Hey, hun. I've landed in Sacramento. Sorry for missing your party, but I know you'll have fun...hope we're okay...xoxo Stef

Shoving my phone back into my pocket, I head towards the entrance, this time with a more determined gait even though my heart is physically heavy.

------------------------

"So, this is my home office," Ren pushes open a hard oak door as I walk through it.

"Sweet! Must be nice working from home on occasion!" I look around and smile as she comes up behind me running her hands over my hips and nuzzling into my neck.

"Mhmmm, definitely if I have someone here to distract me every now and then."

I smile as I run my fingers over her hands and slowly remove them so I can turn around and look into her dark eyes. "Oh ya? Like who? I didn't know you had a secret lover!"

She giggles as she pulls me closer and our lips meet. My eyes close as I try to remain in this moment, no matter how big or small, and for a brief second, I allow myself to forget Lena ever existed.

------------------------

*Lena*

As the festivities of the night wear on, I am becoming more and more drunk with each glass of wine. I hadn't intended for this to happen. Not at all, but the more I drank, the easier it was to be here without Stef beside me. Jenna, Kelly, Hope and Kara all talk me into passing out candy to the trick or treaters, and before I know it, I've eaten half my weight in candy as well. As I head to the kitchen to see if we have any more Malbec, my phone buzzes, and I quickly check it to see a text from Stef.

Hey, hun. I've landed in Sacramento. Sorry for missing your party, but I know you'll have fun...hope we're okay...xoxo Stef

I smile as I quickly take a selfie and reply.

Glad you made it safely, Batman. Sorry you missed me. I got away this time...xoxo Len

I push send before I can stop myself and attempt to forget that last night even existed. As far as I'm concerned, it never happened, and when she returns, we can resume best friends as usual.

----------------

**How are you liking  this story so far? Let me know in the comments. I love hearing from you guys! :-)**