Chapter 12 Departure

Rialoves2cook: Today, I'm making a spicy glass noodle salad! It brings the heat like the country I'm flying to tomorrow, which is a terrifying thought! This is the first time I've fit my life in a suitcase, and it's harder than the movies make it look. I've also never been on a plane, so any tips are appreciated.

Our salad typically has shrimp and pork, but my vegetarian friends can swap in their favourite meat substitutes. With fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chilis, this dish proves salads still pack a good punch.

#canyoutaketheheat #Leavingonajetplane #saladswithattitude #savemewithyourtraveltips

posted: October 11th, 4:00 pm

***

Sitting on her bedroom floor across from Sunshine, Maria rolled up as many of her cute dresses, shorts, and shirts as they could fit in her suitcases. Grinning, her cousin hummed and danced to the closet.

"Oh my god, remember this?" Sunshine dashed over with a picture of the varsity high school basketball team. "You were so impressive they recruited you sophomore year, and you guys won the finals. Why didn't you keep playing during university?"

"The psychology courses were hard, and between work and studying, I didn't have the time."

"There's a court at the apartments. I know two handsome men who need an ego check."

Maria laughed as she packed a bright yellow dress. "It's been years since I played. Their egos will be fine."

Shouting echoed from the kitchen, more intense than usual. Her father bellowed, and the door slammed a minute later. After bowing her head, she swallowed the lump in her throat. Her decision was causing constant turmoil in her parents' solid relationship.

"In a few days, you'll be thousands of miles from that," Sunshine said.

"How am I supposed to go with my dad so angry? What if he's right?" As Maria turned to Sunshine, her mouth raced faster than her mind. "Why did you move back?"

"Breathe, Ria." Sunshine placed her hands on Maria's upper arms and ran them up and down. "You have been through so much crap with your ex that you deserve this amazing tropical escape, and you're working with kids. You love kids! It doesn't get better than that."

"If it's so great, why are you in Edmonton?"

"I missed you terribly."

"Liar, you're shipping me away," Maria teased.

After walking to Maria's old boom box, Sunshine turned on the radio then sat crossed-legged beside her on the carpet. "Promise you won't freak out."

"Sunny, don't make me regret listening to you."

"It won't affect you, relax. Well, a little, Tita Maria," Sunshine whispered the final words with a gigantic smile.

Tita, why would she be an aunt, unless... Maria jumped up from the floor. "Oh my God!"

Sunshine grinned before pressing a finger to her lips "Shh, no one in the family knows. I'm waiting for Dan to tell his parents in Toronto before we announce it here."

"Is he moving to Edmonton?"

Sunshine beamed like a kid on a snow day. "Thanks to you. Otherwise, he'd be working in Bangkok until April, which I couldn't handle. So as much as I want to live it up in Thailand with you, you can understand why I came home."

Maria nodded and hugged her cousin, despite the burning sensation in her chest. Her partying cousin had found love on the opposite side of the world, and Maria, who'd devoted three years to Adrian, had a one-way ticket and a broken heart. "I'm so happy for you!"