Chapter 20 Explanation

Rialoves2cook: I wish I saved the quick and easy smoothie for last, especially since I've spent today paying for the fun I had yesterday with my awesome new coworker/friends, but let's embark on this biko adventure together without the angry buzzing of a blender. This is another oven-free dessert you can make with just a hot plate or two if only I was that lucky.

#sweettreats #hangovereats #Pinoydessert #stickyrice

Posted Oct 18, 5:45 PM

***

In her bathroom mirror, Maria peered at her bloodshot eyes and scraped chin. She tried to fix her hair, each tug of her comb making her brain feel like it would separate from her skull. At least she had one comfy uniform left that didn't stink and concealer to hide her mystery wounds.

Her phone vibrated on the table, showing Tom was ready to leave whenever she was. The screen's dizzying brightness caused her to ignore the other unread notifications. The high number made her stomach churn more than it already was. Handling whatever drunken conversations she'd had and teaching was beyond her this morning. Tom was nice enough to text her earlier to offer her Advil, in case she had been too drunk to remember his promise, which was accurate. Everything after laughing at Mitch and Becca performing on stage was a blur. Hopefully, she hadn't acted like a fool.

The bright sun had her squinting and fishing through her purse for sunglasses. As she rushed down to the third floor, her steps drove pain through her head. Why did she drink so much? Usually, she knew better than to get smashed when she had to work the following day. Would her coworkers judge her for it? Tom waited outside his door with a thin smile, holding a bottle of water and a plastic bag of a dozen little red pills, which he insisted she keep.

"Thank you," Maria said. "This will save me today."

"Are you nauseous, I have something if—"

She patted his bicep. "That's sweet, but I'll be okay. Can you text Emma and see if she's ready? We're walking buddies." After swallowing two pills with a gulp of water, she waited for Emma's response, which came a moment later.

As her eyes adjusted to the brightness outdoors, Maria stopped herself from checking her messages. She had undoubtedly sent drunken texts, to who was anyone's guess, but she'd respond at lunch or after school once she'd survived teaching. Working while hungover was enough to handle.

"It's an easy day," Tom said, following Maria down the stairs toward Emma's apartment. "We lead the kids through the activities and games Rebecca planned, then the students play or you can read them stories."

Maria ran her hand over the cool metal railing to steady herself. "I hope I'll survive."

"You'll be fine," Tom said with a reassuring grin. "Don't worry."

When she arrived on the second floor, Maria unscrewed the water bottle lid and surveyed the neighbourhood. A gold, flowered gate stood out in a sea of dark mould-touched walls, crisscrossing electrical wires and window air-conditioning units. The water chased away traces of the lethargy weighing her down. As Tom predicted, once Emma joined them and the Advil kicked in partway to the school, Maria's energy boosted.

While Tom bought waffles from a street vendor, Emma pulled Maria aside. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm probably too hung-over to teach, but I can't afford to take the day off."

"I hear ya, but everything else is good?" Emma's black-lined blue eyes searched hers.

Maria raised an eyebrow. "Yeah. You're making me wonder what ridiculous things I was ranting about yesterday."