Chapter 6 Summer

Rialoves2cook: Any fans of dal makhani out there? My fellow, awesome contestant, Sameeraskitchen was kind enough to recommend it, and I'm loving the thick, creamy curry paired with garlic naan bread. Thanks for the confidence boost, Sameera! I need it today, as I'm pretty sure the man I love has given up on us. It's a hard truth to swallow, but your support and this tasty meal are making it less horrid. Thank you!

#indianfood #dalmakhani #friendsrecommend #eatingmyfeelingsandtheytastefantastic

posted September 7th, 3:48 PM

***

After a week of culinary creations, Maria reviewed her contest posts with a heavy heart. Despite the flurry of activity and comments from her family, coworkers, and other contestants, the person whose opinion mattered the most to her had only liked one picture. So he was watching, but did he care? He'd yet to text her since she moved her possessions out of the apartment. She sighed.

Looking for a distraction, she scrolled through her newsfeed and grimaced at pictures Kelsey had posted of her and Adrian on the couch he and Maria used to share. A deep pain radiated through her chest. Hadn't they hurt her enough? Maria dropped the phone on her bed and marched to her dresser mirror to tear down the photo of Adrian, Kelsey, and her, taken the night Kelsey had introduced Maria to the band, and she'd first met the love of her life.

As Maria attempted to crumple the image, her phone chimed, and she froze. Was it him? She tossed the picture in the drawer instead. After settling onto her purple comforter, Maria grabbed her device and opened the message. It wasn't from him, but from another contest competitor she'd connected with this week.

Sameeraskitchen: Hey, your GA profile is pretty lit! What you're going through with your guy sounds rough, and he's missing out by staying away because you're so sweet and supportive to us. I've been there before if you need someone to talk to.

Maria held up the phone and smiled despite her forming tears. If other people recognized her suffering, why couldn't Adrian?

Rialoves2cook: Thanks, Sameera! I loved the naan bread video you posted and am super humbled you reached out. I'm sure you hear enough about him in my posts lol I know my family does.

Tina was ready to smack her on the arm anytime she moped or brought up Adrian more than once a day unless it was to bash him. Some days, her frustration at her broken life would overwhelm her, and she would.

Sameeraskitchen: If you want to vent, my inbox is open. I split with my guy after five years, and it was horrible. My parents blamed me for poisoning the relationship, and we fought constantly. Sometimes it's nice to get an outside perspective, or sometimes it's better to grab a bottle of rum and forget it altogether. No judgement!

Rialoves2cook: Haha! Yikes, sorry to hear that <3 I hope things are easier now. My family is celebrating and circling with 'I told you so's. I broke a promise I'd made to my guy during our last big fight. He's never convinced I love him, and I proved him right. I started the Gourmet Adventures competition to fix that.

Sameeraskitchen: Any luck?

Maria frowned and checked her posts again for any traces of Adrian, but no new ones appeared.

Rialovestocook: He liked one post but silence other than that.

Sameeraskitchen: Which one?

Rialoves2cook: The cheese pandesal recipe I did with my sister, which is weird because they never got along.

Sameeraskitchen: That video was hilarious! To be honest, you're the most upbeat and approachable in it. Maybe you've gotta focus on your happiness, get that life spark back, then see what happens with him.