Chapter 1 Brewing Storm

Maria had always dreamed of moving her and Adrian out of their dingy, third-floor apartment, but this was a nightmare. They wouldn't get a spacious house in a better neighbourhood. They would be evicted.

If she landed on her parents' doorstep to admit she couldn't pay rent while working two jobs, they would launch another assault on her relationship with 'The Music Boy'. Even though Adrian's family would take them in with open arms, Maria refused. She was an adult with a university degree, not a freeloader. After a few more shifts, she'd earn the cash. Unfortunately, their landlord wouldn't believe her like he had last month, considering they still owed him that rent money too. 

As she traversed the riverside park, she shook away her unease, tugged her hair out of its ponytail and tousled it the way Adrian liked. The warm summer breeze aired out the sweaty t-shirt she hadn't changed. If she'd stopped at the apartment, she'd have less time with him. Their time together was as rare as a snowless winter in the Canadian prairies lately.

She climbed the hill overlooking the pond, busy with children feeding geese and families posing for portraits. Her other half sat staring off in the distance. She ran over and tackled him in a hug. He recovered with a laugh and laid her in the grass, covering her face and neck in butterfly kisses that took her breath away like when they'd started dating three years ago. She ran her hand along his stubble-lined cheek and inhaled his patchouli scent.

"I missed you," she breathed.

"I miss you a little too," he said with a grin.

Maria laughed. "Only a little?"

"A little more than the world needs to ban plastic." It was a high compliment from her eco-warrior boyfriend. He captured her lips again and pulled her closer until the space between them disappeared. She warmed, wishing they weren't in such a public place.

He pulled away and stroked her cheek with calloused fingers. "You are my everything, Ria."

She looked into his electric blue eyes and bit her lip.  His love was more intense than any of his songs about their relationship captured, though she swooned every time he played them. Knowing they were the centre of each other's universes filled her heart to the brim, but the raw moments were her favourites. He had held her through tears as she shared painful childhood memories. Ones her family had paid doctors they could hardly afford to heal. "Pain makes us real," he'd said. "I've never loved you more."  

In the park, he nuzzled his head in the crook of her neck, and she beamed. 

"You're my stars and moon, without you..."

"I'd be lost and entombed in darkness," Adrian whispered in her ear. "I love it when you quote my music."

His closeness was such a relief after their recent fight. 

"I'm glad the past two weeks are behind us," she said. Their money struggles and her work schedule threatened to break them, but they were too strong. Her stomach churned. They'd be smooth sailing after making up a few hundred missing dollars by the end of the weekend.

"I told you we'll be fine. You trust me, don't you?" He sat up, and she nodded.

Adrian reached into his button-covered messenger bag. "I got something for you." His smile radiated with joy and hope.

She flinched unintentionally. Two weeks ago he'd purchased an eight-hundred dollar guitar for himself with the money she'd saved to pay rent in the joint account. He meant well, investing in his career, but he had no financial sense.

He squeezed her hand. "Not with our money, like I promised. My mom lent me some."

Maria breathed out a sigh of relief. "What is it?"