Chapter 29 Sisig Tacos

Rialoves2cook: Today, we're making fish tacos with a Pinoy twist. These are tuna sisig tacos. For this, I've bought fresh fish, bell pepper, Thai peppers, mayonnaise, onion, garlic, pork chicharron, limes, and a few other spices. They're wrapped up in warm, homemade corn tortillas! So many delicious flavours! I wish there was a share taste button, but you must watch and try making them for yourself.

Also welcome my (amazing) regular guest chef, Prae, and my guest taster and impromptu costume designer, Mitch.

#tunasisigtacos #kitchenfiesta #firstcreation #cookingwithfriends

Posted: November 7th, 7:15 PM

Em&Em: Aw man, how did I miss this? I want in for #secondcreation.

Sameeraskitchen: The family loved this, Ria! Can't wait to see what you do next <3

YourOnlySunshine: Bahhaha costume designer! Any excuse to mooch food and spend time with beautiful women :P Way to go ladies, looks amazing! I'll get Daniel to make it for me ASAP.

***

The start of Maria's day was as pleasant as rotten fish oil. Kelsey had posted pictures of her and Adrian together with the caption 'That feeling when your man plans an extravagant date night to celebrate the end of midterms. How did I get so lucky?' There was a possibility he did it to offset the upcoming break-up, but he could also be punishing Maria for needing space. He's not yours, she told herself before getting ready for work.

In the hall at lunch hour, her students chatted and laughed instead of lining up despite Maria's instructions. To make matters worse, Mitch and his class stood in two neat lines, making him look like the teacher of the year.

"P4/4!" he yelled at her pupils. "You know how to form rows. Line up!"

Like robots, her students formed two straight lines and gazed at Mitch with wide eyes. After meeting Mitch's gaze, she mouthed 'thanks'. He nodded and let her class proceed down the stairs to lunch.

Once they'd reached the large outdoor cafeteria, the children hurried into the queue in front of the glass-shielded buffet. The older students' chatter echoed off the teal dome roof, as the aroma of coconut milk and seafood wafted over. Mitch joined Maria where she stood with her rowdy kids.

"How was your morning?" he asked.

She readjusted her uniform shirt. "Good enough."

Mitch lifted an eyebrow, his eyes cutting right through the bullshit.

"Or honestly, more like that." She inclined her head toward her students pretending to strangle each other.

"I can't imagine why. They are such angels." Mitch grinned.

She nudged him in the chest with her shoulder like she would do with Felipe sometimes. Mitch's grin widened as he took a step closer, bringing in a cinnamon scent, like in a warm kitchen. Before she could escape, he tensed and narrowed his eyes on something ahead.

"Excuse me a minute," Mitch said.

Approaching three boys from Maria's class, he called them over. After their eyebrows raised, they dragged their feet and bowed their heads. Mitch took them out of Maria's view, and she hung her head. What the hell did he see that she couldn't?

The four returned to the cafeteria line two minutes later. "What was that about?"

"Solving a problem."

Her hunch deepened. The issues never stopped with her classes.

"Nothing you need to worry about." He smiled reassuringly.