Chapter 27 The Results

From: Gourmet Adventures Contest

November 1st, 8:30 PM

To: Maria Tomas

Subject: Congratulations!

You are advancing to our final round! You have created engaging content for your viewers, and now that you have gained their trust, you need to take risks. For this round, you will focus on creating four unique dishes, no existing recipes allowed. We are seeking new and inspired creations or personal twists on the dishes you love. The strongest competitors will have a shot at our grand prize trip to Paris.

Best of luck!

***

Maria spun around her room and squealed. Not only was she in the last round, the pressure of cooking and buying fresh ingredients every day vanished. Once the prize money arrived, it would reimburse her food costs and leave her a little extra. She bounded with energy. Who did she tell first? Prae, Sunshine, her mom, Emma, Adrian? They'd all been instrumental to her progress in different ways.

She fired off a few texts and saved a video chat for Adrian. His voice would soothe her after this crappy week.

A light knock came at her door, and Mitch called out her name.

What did he want? To mock her some more?

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"All good," hollered back.

"Why were you screaming?"

"It was a good scream."

"Nice, although I'm hurt I wasn't the first guy you chose."

Maria marched over to the door. The last thing she needed was him spreading lies about her. "There's no man in—" Her words died in her throat as Mitch stood there shirtless, sweat gleaming off his muscled arms and chest. He must have come from the courts. Remember how awful he was yesterday, she thought before forcing out the last word, "Here."

The arrogant prick smirked, leaning on the door frame so they were too close for neighbours. "Then I'm just in time."

She pressed her lips together. "I don't need you to be happy. I made it to round three of my competition."

His face brightened with a grin. "Congratulations! This calls for a drink." He hurried to his apartment and disappeared inside before she could protest.

"Please, no whiskey," she yelled.

"Noted, how do you like rum?"

"Better."

She opened up Sunshine and Prae's excited messages.

Prae: I knew it! I am so proud of you, Maria! Let me know if I can help.

Maria: <3 <3 You're the best. I would never have made it this far without you. I will treat you to an amazing supper soon.

Sunshine: Damn Ria, congrats, you triple threat! Moving abroad, teaching, and slaying a cooking contest. I'm not surprised! What's next ; )

Maria: Thank you so much <3 I have enough on my plate already lol. How was your ultrasound yesterday?

Mitch returned with two cocktail glasses garnished with limes. He'd also thrown on a shirt, both her relief and disappointment.

"For you, my lady." he handed her the cool glass.

She sipped the clear drink, sweetness and lime joined the strong white rum. "This is delicious."