Kiss of Darkness 11

Chapter 11

I'm not sure when I woke up, but I woke up to the delicious smell of fresh bread. I sat up and leaned on the railing of the loft. Rose was hidden under her covers and Sunflower was in the kitchen, humming a tune. 

I shrugged off the sheets and quickly changed into a shirt and jeans I saw by Sunflower's wardrobe.

I climbed down the stairs and tiptoed to the kitchen. 

"Boo!" I whispered loudly as I snuck up behind Sunflower.

She laughed and told me good morning.

"Hey Sunflower?"

'Yeah?" She asked, taking bread out of the oven.

"How are you so happy all the time?"

'What do you mean?"

"You're so smiley and everything all the time, I mean have you ever had a hit-mission?"

A stoic expression came over her face and she dropped the tray of bread on the counter with a clatter.

"I...yeah. All of them."

"What? All of your missions?!" I couldn't picture this sweet little girl, who wakes up early to bake bread, killing anyone. (Who bakes bread anyways?)

She didn't answer but her blank eyes answered my question. 

"How did you do it?" I asked quietly.

"I don't want to talk about it, if that's ok," Sunflower said with teary eyes.

She took off her oven mitts and walked slowly to her loft.

I started cutting the bread absentmindedly and accidentally cut my finger. I inhaled sharply and looked at my finger. The blood blossomed almost...beautifully.

"Put a band-aid on that or something, I don't want bloody bread," Rose said. She sat at the end of the counter, her face in her hands.

She opened a drawer and pulled out a small red box. 

"Poison," Rose said as she picked through the box.

"Huh?" 

"Sunflower kills with poison. It's easy, efficient, and bloodless."

I nodded. It was a shame I had no clue how to get poison-.-

"Here." Rose slipped a small necklace pendant across to me. It was a four leaf clover, the stem acting as a stopper. A clear liquid sat in the four leaves. 

"What is it?" I asked, even though the answer was pretty obvious.

"It's how you're gonna knock off any other targets you have," Rose said with a dangerous glint in her eyes.

"Hey Rose?"

"Yeah?" She took a slice of the bread and started nibbling on the edges.

"How long have you been here?" 

"On earth? 22 years. In Hell? 3," she said. I would've taken that as a joke normally but the way she said it made me shiver.

"Were you the first one he took?" I asked, fueled by curiosity.

"No, Holly was. I was the second. You're awfully curious today aren't you?"

"I guess," I said quietly, slicing the rest of the bread.

Then the metallic sound of a door echoed through the room. Heavy footsteps soon followed and they came closer until the man with the mask came in. His mask was snow white, a thick black line traced the outside of the eyes. The black paint melted into his cold eyes.

"He dropped three folders on the other end of the counter and paused to watch Rose and me for a heartbeat but then walked away, breaking eye contact with me.

Until this moment I had almost forgotten the real situation of things. No one would bother looking for a girl they presumed dead. No one would come for me. I'd have to find a way out myself then. 

"Rose?" 

"What now"

"We need to find a way out of here."