18. bleeding tears

Start from the beginning

At the sight of Nancy, Max immediately jumps off her bed and walks to her. "So...what were they doing?" Max asks curiously.

"They were just hugging. Eleven was crying though," crying? Did they break up? Max tried to hide her smile.

"Oh, okay. Thanks Nancy,"

"Just remember that you owe me a favour." Nancy left and Max followed after her after she had jumped around in her room and laughed hysterically.

But things didn't turn out great when she got down to dinner and found the two sitting close to each other, their hands occasionally joined, The hope of them not being together disappeared. after the dinner had ended, Max tried to reach for Mike, only for him to ignore her and leave her with a heavy heart.

□■□■□

It was late at night when Max decided that she should probably go and talk to Mike. she knocked twice on his bedroom's door and waited, but when she didn't get a reply after some time, she begin calling for him. "Mike! it's me, Max. open up!" she heard some shuffling inside his room before the door swung open and she came face to face with the one and only, Eleven.

But something about how Eleven's hair was messed up and her lips were swollen and parted, caught Max's attention. Max caught a glimpse of mike, he was sitting on the bed and his hair was ruffled back, he was breathless too. Max's mind was fast to get what has happened, but her heart refused to acknowledge the thought.

when her eyes returned to his, he was already looking at her with ... anger? was he angry at her? why would he be? her eyes traveled between the pair in front of her, yet she didn't accept what her heart felt, or what her mind was telling her.

"Are you done staring at us?" Eleven's voice brought Max back to reality and she realized that suddenly, Mike was standing beside Eleven now and they were holding hands.

Max's throat tightened, her eyes were burning with the need to cry, her heart felt like it was breaking. Why would he do that to her? Was he really using her? "M-Mike, what-"

"If you don't have something important to say, leave." His words threw knives at her heart, and if she wasn't crying before, she is crying now.

But she wasn't going to leave. She needed explanations. "Mike, what happened?" She forced the words out, before an ugly sob escaped her lips. She couldn't believe that she was crying in front of Elbitch.

"You are wasting our time. We have things to do, you know." Eleven said smugly, and Max knew that she would regret not slapping that bitch later.

"I think you should go," Max thought she saw sympathy in his eyes, but she wasn't sure as it was gone and was replaced with scowl.

Max stood there, not caring if she looked weird, she was searching his eyes for answers but found none. Maybe she did something wrong, maybe she upset him somehow, because she has always been a fuck up, she manages to ruin every good thing in her life.

"Mayfield?" Back to last names, then? His voice sounded irritated.

"I'm sorry," she meant for more than just standing there while they were telling her to leave. She exited the room, and Eleven closed the door before Mike could get a hold of Max's arm and stop her from leaving.

He didn't want her to leave, but he couldn't stand seeing her. All he could think about was if she was leaving his life completely, or just simply leaving his room. He didn't want anything to do with her, but he wanted her stay. Would she really just walk out of his life that easily?

"Look at her, she is even faking crying!!" Eleven said angrily, interested on turning Mike against Max.

"She wasn't faking it." Mike stated defensively, knowing that those red, weary, blue eyes filled with tears would haunt him forever.

"Maybe she is just sad that she couldn't get between me and you." Eleven made to get closer to Mike but he stepped back.

"Um, El, can you leave? I really want to be alone right now."

She looked slightly hurt, However, she nodded and said "sure, I'll be in Nancy's room."

He felt like a jerk. Eleven doesn't have a room here, all because of Max. "No, stay here. I'll go." He moves past her and out of the room, the last thing he heard before getting out was a-

"Good night, Mike."

□■□■□

Max went to her favourite place, the roof. She thought that it would help her clear her thoughts, but it only made it worse. This place held alot if memories of her and Meachle.

She must have been deep in thought, as she still hadn't sensed his presence. "I see you have found my favourite place," Mike smiles at the stars that were glowing brightly, aware of Max turning her head to him.

"Oh, hi there."

"I like to come here, it helps in calming me." Mike confesses.

"It's nice," she admits. "Do you mind sharing your favourite place with me, then?" She asks.

"No, I don't." He simply answers. "Honestly, i don't like to be alone."

Their first night here on the roof. The first time she told him something no one knew about her.

he sat, and he sat next to her, covering her and himself with the blanket. "Better now?" He asks.

"Yes," she snuggles closer to him, and he puts his arm around her shoulder.

He hands her her cup, she took a sip. "Tea?"

"You don't like it?" He looked worried.

"No! It's my favourite!" She exclaims.

"I know," he smirks, and continues before she could say anything. "Saw you drinking it every morning."

Her heart aches at the memory, missing the warm feeling of his body against hers.

"I like you Max, alot. And when I get the chance I'll break up with Elven. Just give me some time, okay?" He brushes his thumb against her cheek, and she leans into his touch.

"But don't take alot of time, okay?" She says "I want you to be mine only," she demands.

"Of course," he agrees in a heart beat, eyes sparkling in the dark.

What happened to them? What did she do that made him this angry? Angry to the point where he kisses Eleven! She didn't realize that she was crying until she heard a movement behind her and she was met with these familiar dark eyes.

She smiled sadly at him, hoping that what happened was just a bad dream and that he didn't hate her, but he turned his face away from hers. She then realized that he didn't come here to see her. He came here because it's his favourite place, that he shared with her, but now she didn't belong in it anymore.

"I'm sorry, I was about to leave anyway." Her voice came off as a whimper. She walked slowly, with a little hope that he might stop her,

But he let her walk away.

Max left before she saw the tears that ran down his cheeks, or the longing on his face. Numbness surrounded his heart when she left without trying to talk to him. Did she really not care enough to want  to know why he ignored her? Or did he push her away too much?