She had her hands on the deck when I caught up with her and grabbed her around the waist again, pushing myself backwards with her in my arms.

I was laughing and swallowing water and kicking us away from the deck. I could physically feel how annoyed with me Lexi was.

I was laughing too much so she easily pushing me away.

"Do you have any idea in how much trouble you are right now?" she yelled floating a bit on her back which allowed her to easily kick water with her legs right in my face. "Because trust me, you're in so much trouble that your children and your children's children will pay for this."

I was laughing too much to come up with any good comeback. Sure Pumpkin, I'm sure our grandchildren will hate being told the story of the time I threw you in a lake fully clothed. How hysterical. I was definitely losing my mind.

"God, you're sooo annoying," she added and pushed my head underwater. I didn't fight against it. And I didn't swim after her to catch her again when she headed for the deck this time.

Once she was out of the water, she stood on her feet, with her legs and arms sort of spread apart, like she was trying not to have any of her limbs touch. She looked like an angry wet cat.

I had no idea my life had been missing that hilarious visual. The level of outrage and discomfort was perfectly balanced. I could pinch her cheeks and squeeze her in my arms.

My adorable Pumpkin.

"Look at what you've done! Now I'm all freaking wet because of you," she yelled at me, pulling at her sticky shirt like it was some kind of abomination.

The reply was instantaneous. It was just too easy. "Oh that's so not the first time I'm getting this from a girl," I said, and got out of the lake.

Her reaction? Predictable. And also priceless. "Dear freaking mother of god! Could you just once, just freaking once not turn everything I say into something sexual? Just once?" she replied, shoving me. I took one step backwards, still completely amused.

"I could, but where would be the fun in that?" I answered, laughing.

I could, I definitely could stop finding innuendos in absolutely everything she said, but I just felt like if I ever did that, if I ever didn't turn what Lexi was saying into something funny, I would have to be serious and then I think Lexi would be even more annoyed with me. I didn't think my feelings were anything Lexi wanted to deal with. I could spare her that.

Lexi didn't dignify my reply with an answer and just scowled at me before walking away.

The way she was walking because of her wet clothes, kind of like a duck, I threw my head back, laughing more, but then rushed to keep up with her.

My shoes were making an ungodly sound. It felt like I was walking on wet sponges. 

"Aw, come on Lexi, lighten up," I said, but Lexi didn't even turn around to look at me, she actually definitely grabbed a branch and snapped it back right in my face.

"Ouch," I said automatically. Damn, that hurt. I hoped I wasn't bleeding. "That was just mean Pumpkin."

"Well that's all you deserve, you stupid prick," she said and suddenly turned around, punching me on the chest. "Not only did you throw me in the water but you freaking drowned my M&M's, you asshole!"

Was she... was she this furious particularly because of the M&Ms? Was she this mad because of candies? God, there was no way I was ever going to understand this girl.