Chapter 41

Chapter 41

For the first time in what felt like forever, I slept well that night. I didn't have any nightmares. I actually didn't even remember my dreams once I woke up.

I felt rested.

Once I got to school, I found Lexi quickly, walking side by side with Daphnee and Alex.

And for the first time in what felt like forever, I didn't actually feel like throttling Alex.

She didn't love him.

I had said so many things last night, opened up about such a sensitive subject for me, that I hadn't really taken the time to process what Lexi had also shared with me.

That she had apparently never felt like she loved Alex.

I had always thought that deep down she still loved Alex, still pined for him the way I pined for her, and because of that it would be almost impossible to have her love me instead. After all, I knew how useless it was to get me to love anyone else but this girl.

But I had been wrong apparently.

I didn't need to fight with Alex for Lexi's affection. I only needed to fight with my own lack of self-worth.

I walked up to Lexi from behind and leaned closer to her ear, pinching the side of her waist, and said "boo."

Lexi squealed in surprise, turning around to. "God, Blake, you scared me," she said, laughing. Unsurprisingly, she also punched me on the chest. There was no real strength to it though.

I grabbed her hand before she could let it drop off my chest. "So unobservant, aren't you Pumpkin?" I told her teasingly.

"Yeah, I think we both clearly know I am now," Lexi answered her hand still in mine. She didn't seem to mind.

I wasn't going to drop her hand as long as she wasn't letting go of mine.

We smiled at each other. The bell rang. "Come on let's go, we'll be late," I told her, and headed to our Chemistry class, her hand still in mine.

And my Pumpkin just followed me.

Once in the classroom, I made my way to a desk. Dishearteningly, I dropped Lexi's hand at that point, because I assumed we couldn't hold hands throughout the whole class.

I felt giddy. And hopeful.

For the first time in what felt like forever, I actually thought my unrequited feelings had a glimpse of a chance of being reciprocated.

I really hadn't learned my lesson over the years.

The teacher started to give the class.

Lexi was sitting beside me and I wasn't holding her hand anymore, but she cared about me, that much was obvious.

And I liked her.

When the teacher wasn't looking, I poked Lexi on the side with my finger.

I had issues, okay? I just wanted to touch her all the time.

If I wasn't poking her, I was throwing little pieces of paper at her to get her attention, or nudging her with my elbow, or tapping her foot with mine.

Lexi kept telling me to look in front and concentrate.

She'd told me she didn't love Alex yesterday though, so she should assume this was going to be my behaviour today.