Chapter 63

Chapter 63

Lexi had been weird all week long. Not bad weird, just strange weird.

Ever since the night when she had sneaked into my bedroom, in the middle of the night, she hadn't been her usual self.

Nothing had happened between us, so I didn't really get what was up with that.

Of course, I'd been super busy with practice and what not, but any time we'd been in class together, or sitting beside each other for lunch, she'd been quieter somehow.

Not herself.

Not the girl who'd boldly popped in my room in the middle of the night.

Was she regretting it? Was that why she was like this?

Anytime I thought we were getting closer, it felt like Lexi was pulling away instead.

It was Tuesday morning, and we were leaving for the school trip today.

Josh had agreed to drive me to school so I wouldn't leave my car in the parking lot.

This was my opportunity to get Lexi in a car with me again before we left, and to maybe try to figure out what was going on.

So I called her.

Her phone rang a couple of times before she answered a groggy, "yeah?"

I could picture a sleepy Lexi in her bed, that was just waking up and pouting because of it.

The image in my head was adorable.

"Nice voice in the morning Pumpkin, you should totally call me master with it," I teased her.

My Pumpkin was not a morning person.

"Honestly, calling me in the middle of the night, fine I won't make a big thing out of it, but calling me to wake me up in the morning? That's just crossing a line," she whined.

I chuckled and asked, "Not a morning person?" even though I already knew the answer to that.

Lexi let out a pained sound. "What do you want, you idiot? You'll see me in like one hour."

I smirked, amused at her little outburst. She had more life in her voice now than she had all week long.

She'd been so weird. I'd been scared I had done something wrong.

Her little outburst was comforting, as weird as it sounded. I wanted my argumentative Pumpkin back.

She hadn't hit me all week long, for Christ's sakes.

"Actually, I'll see you sooner. I'll come pick you up," I told her.

I wasn't giving her the option.

"And why is that?"

"Want to leave your car in the school parking lot for four days?" I replied, like this wasn't just an excuse to spend more time with her.

"What about your car?" she shot back.

"Josh will drive it back."

Lexi snorted. "Josh is up?"

"Josh wants me to make him a big canvas so I'm using him," I told her.

He'd asked me a little while back, and I was collecting my payment.

Josh was always amusing in the morning too.

"Can't he buy one?" Lexi asked, making small talk in the morning apparently.