| 40 |

Scarlett was standing in the middle of the throne hall, her eyes staring at the portrait behind the throne

Scarlett was standing in the middle of the throne hall, her eyes staring at the portrait behind the throne. No one had dared to touch it since one of the servants tried to take it down and almost had their heads ripped by her. The room was dark and the only source of light was the moonlight peeking through the windows. 

With every passing day, the palace became colder and quieter. People living here had slowly started to leave and never once did Scarlett stopped them. She just sat on the throne emotionlessly as no one even bid her a farewell. A night before, she was told that Prince Elaric tried to break out of his room. She knew it was only a matter of time he would run away from the palace. The one person who just silently watch her bring destruction to the royal was the previous king—her father. It broke Scarlett that she was destroying the kingdom her father had worked so hard to protect but she knew she had to make this sacrifice. 

Scarlett felt the sudden presence in the room and a smile broke on her face except the smile was nothing but a cold dangerous one. "Isn't it an honor to have you here," Scarlett's soul-chilling voice rang through the silent hall yet her eyes never left the portrait.

"I thought I should pay a visit to my favorite girl," A melodic voice replied, "After all it's been ages since we last met."

Footsteps echoed through the walls as the person walked towards Scarlett. She stood beside her and looked at the same portrait she was staring at. "Such a beautiful family they used be!"

Scarlett's eyes snapped towards the woman, her hands clenched as she narrowed her eyes into thin slits. Yet Ciana didn't flinch. There was a soft beautiful smile playing on her red lips. 

She was beautiful, even more beautiful than Scarlett had remembered. Her white hair was let loose which shone under the moonlight. Her skin was dangerously pale but her cheeks had a hint of red.  

Ciana finally looked at Scarlett, "Don't you feel lonely here?"

"I am at my home, why would I feel lonely here?" Scarlett ran a hair through her untamed hair. 

"But there is no one at home, sweetheart!" Ciana said in a sad voice but the smile on her face.

"I wonder why," Scarlett replied sarcasm lacing her voice as she glared at the witch.

"You have so much in common with your mother," Ciana gave chuckled and looked back at the portrait. "From your smile to your sense of justice! Don't you think you should think twice about what you are planning to do? We don't want a similar tragedy to happen again right?" 

Scarlett growled and grabbed Ciana's throat squeezing it hard but even if Ciana felt pain, she didn't show it. Instead, she laughed. "Do you really think you can hurt me?" 

Scarlett's eyes glowed red in anger making Ciana laugh. "You are not as strong as you think sweetheart!"

Instantly, a sudden force by Ciana threw Scarlett away. She rolled around until she hit the small stage of where the throne sat. Scarlett wheezed out and looked at Ciana in shock. Ciana gave her a smile and walked up to her. 

"Betron said he will be coming here in a week. He asked you to act like his filial little daughter and give him the throne!" 

"He is..." Scarlett slowly stood up and growled, "NOT MY FATHER!" All the glass and porcelain items in the hall shattered at the sudden burst of energy. 

"Impressive!" Ciana looked around and chuckled, "Well, he still wants the throne, daughter or not.

"Over my dead body!" Scarlett gritted out.

"If that's what you want, that is what he will give you," Ciana winked and within a split second she disappeared. 

Scarlett looked at the place she was standing at, fatigue suddenly starting to take over her. Her knees gave out as she fell on the floor. Which her hands supporting her body to not fall face flat, she looked at the throne and then at her mother's portrait. 

"I won't let them harm anyone else anymore. That's my promise, mom!"