Chapter 24

Chapter 24 Person That Loves You Dearly

-----

"Would I choose if I am given the option to choose?"

-----

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Several taps from his gloved index finger lightly hit the wooden table beside him. A cup made from precious porcelain sat close to his hand, its beverage rippling as he continuously performed such act. Reiji wore his usual poker face but the way he crossed his legs in a tight manner showed how nervous he was.

In front of him was the girl he confessed to in front of hundreds of people. However, their audience thought that it was merely part of their play-- a spin-off of a popular fairytale story where Cinderella ended up with the servant instead of the prince.

His class was in in a panic as they made last-minute revision of the script; they made Reiji do improv for their wedding vows in the last scene. Same lines still worked for his partner, but she changed the name spoken to "Luis". It sounded a bit bumpy, but it worked and everyone in the crowd stood up and applaud with all their might. Some even had tears in their eyes.

Reiji relinquished the brief moment of their marriage. He was extremely overjoyed as he managed to kiss the girl's cheek, mere inches away from her lips.

He almost touched a hand to his lips as a small smile started to form on his features.

"Why are you smiling?" the girl asked, frowning.

That memory, was of course, fleeting. That was almost an hour ago and everyone had moved on. The play of the halflings was currently occurring as he and the girl lounge in his personal laboratory in the academy.

Quickly returning his wits, the male quickly composed himself, "Nothing."

"So, are you going to explain yourself or what?"

His fingers started to shake as nervousness crept into his veins once again. Shaking his head to strengthen his resolve, he took out a flask from his vest and poured its content in his freshly made tea. Once he had put a decent amount of alcohol in it, he took a swig from the flask itself.

This made the girl raise an eyebrow.

Someone straightlaced as Reiji Sakamaki was drinking alcohol in school?

The male in question noticed her gaze and shrugged, "It is your fault; I got the habit from you. I do not really get drunk, but it calms my nerves."

"... Me?" she asked, knowing that she had never drunk with Reiji-- oh right.

As calmly as he can, Reiji placed the vial back in his vest's pocket and turned to the girl seated adjacent from him.

"Before I answer all your inquiries, I would like to clarify some things. Everything I said in the stage, no matter how abrupt it may sound, is true," he cleared his throat, trying to hide the scarlet shade forming on his porcelain cheeks, "I am indeed attracted to you in a way that surpasses the average way a person should be attracted to another."

"That said, I will answer your questions in a way that would benefit you in my own discretion," he continued as the girl shift in her seat.

"Should I, uh, answer your confession?" she asked, raising a hand.

"No. I know that your answer won't be too favorable in my part considering you're in close intimacy with that Mukami... If I will be frank, I still do not know how I should put everything into words given that you have been completely brainwashed," he said, sipping his whiskey-infused tea.