Vic's POV

Monday night football was totally my thing. Now that I didn't have hours of work to do, it was nice to be able to come home and relax. The only thing was that the team here sucked. I got bored of watching them lose over and over again, but I was at least trying to root for them.

"Hey, Vic, wanna watch jeopardy?" Mike asked as he came in and flopped on the couch next to me. I glanced at him.

"Did you do your homework?"

"No. But if you say no I'll just watch it in my room. I just like the big TV." He reasoned. I sighed, knowing this was true and changed the channel.

"Fine, but get it done later."

"Kay, Dad." I scoffed and nudged him.

"Shut up, I'll ground you." I threatened. Of course he would never listen to me, but he knew it was important that he behave or I could lose him. He shrugged and paid attention to the TV. Wee sat there yelling answers at the players who didn't know we existed until the doorbell rang. I sighed and got up to get it. I swung the door open and my jaw dropped slightly when I saw who it was.

"Hey Vic!"

"Cara? What the hell are you doing here?" I groaned, crossing my arms. She scowled and slapped my arm lightly.

"Watch your language when you're around your daughter, she'll pick up bad habits!" That's when I realized the baby she was holding. The little girl with a flower clip in her hair. "Meet your daughter, Ainsely! Doesn't she look just like you?" She said with the most fake adoration in her voice. I rolled my eyes.

"Cara I know she's not mine." I said coldly. Cara looked up at me.

"What are you talking about, Vic? Of course she is! Look, she has your...hair!" I glanced between the baby she was holding out to me and Cara.

"Her hair's black Cara, which one of us has black hair? Cara you told me as soon as you found out you were pregnant that it wasn't mine. Now your boyfriend's gone and you need someone to help you. I get that, but Cara, it's not going to be me. I stuck out for you for too long and I can't take anymore of your shit." Her smile dropped and she looked really mad.

"You know you're a dick, Vic. I don't know why I dated you in the first place. Why are you being so selfish?" She yelled at me. I almost laughed at her.

"Oh I'm selfish!? You're the one who just had to go out and fuck another guy. You're the one who couldn't have just one boyfriend like a normal human being. I'm the one who lost Cara! Not you! What did I ever take away from you that you hadn't given back in the first place, huh? Why did you chose him over me?" I felt tears pricking at my eyes as we argued.

"Why can't you give me the help I need when I need it!?"

"Because it's your own fault you're in this situation in the first place! And I know if I help you I'll just get hurt again and I can't handle that." I was infuriated with her. Why can't she just leave me alone.

"What is wrong with you!? You need to get your mind straight, Vic. I was the best thing that ever happened to you and you're throwing that away. You're selfish and arrogant and you're a worthless piece of shit!" I slammed the door in her face as hard as I could because I knew I would have probably killed her if I hadn't. I could hear her baby crying outside. Poor kid has to grow up with a mother like that. I had nothing against the baby, I love kids, but Ainsely was a reminder of everything that happened with Cara.

"Vic? Are you okay?" Mike asked from the couch. I was leaning against the door and looked up at him. He stood up and looked concerned. I blinked to clear my eyes up and nodded.

"Yeah...yeah, I'm fine." I lied.

"Vic--"

"I'm okay Mike, just...I'm fine." I muttered before fast-walking to the stairs. I jumped up them quickly and locked myself in my room. I just hope Mike doesn't try and talk to me again.

Mike's POV

Vic ran up to his room, just like he used to do when we were kids. I knew he would be crying soon if he wasn't already. He had become and expert at retaining his composure around people, but he's had a lot of practice with it too. His 'I'm okay' face was flawless, to everyone but me. I knew how upset he was, and I knew what he would do next. He'd blow off steam and calm down. Then I'd talk to him and he'd apologize for getting so emotional.

I just hoped Cara would stop trying to get back with Vic. Vic was strong, but he couldn't stay strong forever. Eventually he'd cave and the same thing that happened last time would happen again. He'd get hurt. He always got hurt, but it was never his fault.

I suddenly had no desire to watch TV and I just wanted to finish my homework so I could go to bed. It killed to know how Vic would beat himself up over things that he had no control over. I climbed upstairs and went into my room, adjacent to Vic's. The silence from Vic's room lasted longer than usual; this was really bad. Eventually though, I heard the familiar sound of his guitar strumming and his voice, echoing through the walls.

---------

This has been the longest school day ever. My teachers are so boring and I don't give a shit about any of the shit classes we have learn shit in at this shit school. Shit shit shit. I was still trying to convince Vic to start a band with me and get out of this boring town. But somebody's too focused on his "career" to do "silly things like start a band." He's also way shy about singing, but he would get used to it, right?

Maybe I'm over reacting. I don't know, all I know is I haven't seen Vic since this morning. Usually he's wandering the school like the big goofball he is. I knew he was still upset about last night, but I didn't know what to tell him. He wasn't at lunch today, not that that was something extraordinarily unexpected. Vic skipped lunch sometimes or at in his office because he said I "embarrassed" him.

"Hey, Mike?" Cameron asked as she dumped her backpack in the chair next to me. I glanced up at her.

"Yeah?"

"Why is your brother being a dick? He just assigned us like basically the rest of Othello to read by tomorrow. I don't think you understand the situation; I don't do my homework, but I do read because I don't really consider that homework. But when you have to read over half a book, and it's Shakespeare? That's when I draw the line."

"Wait, you saw Vic today?" She nodded.

"Uh, yeah, he's my teacher? Haven't we been over this? That's why he won't date me which you promised to talk to him about and you didn't!" She sat down and puppydog-eyed me. I brushed it off and shook my head.

"No. Not now, he's not doing well at the moment."

"Why? Does it explain Dick Fuentes?" I shrugged, not sure if I should really tell her. But I realized she would bug me about it until I did.

"Cara showed up last night with her daughter. It didn't go well; Vic was kind of down all night. I guess he's taking it out on you guys." I explained. Cam held a sympathetic look.

"That sucks, I feel bad for him."

"Yeah, me too. He doesn't even talk to me about it." Cam nodded and we sat in silence for a moment before Cam snapped her head up, smiling.

"That's why it's a perfect time to talk to him! He needs a new girlfriend!" She practically screamed. I shook my head.

"Lauren didn't do shit for him." She rolled her eyes.

"Lauren didn't do shit because she didn't know shit." I shrugged, that was true. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get Vic involved with Cam though. I mean, I trusted that she would treat him right and he might be happier, but if they got caught it would be a big deal. Cameron knows that and she really likes Vic. She would be careful, wouldn't she? Vic would be able to get over Cara, maybe this wouldn't be such a bad thing...