006

The classes were dismissed already, and the students were gone, once again leaving all the work to the three of them. Jungkook usually preferred silence but the silence between the three of them had become unbearable and uncomfortable. There was an undeniable yet unspoken tension between the two.

For how long will this last? Jungkook thought – pertaining to both working with few people and working with few people who were having a cold war.

"Jungkook, who was playing the piano last night?" she asked.

"That was Jimin," Jungkook answered.

Dahyun nodded, "I thought so. It was not you."

"Why?"

"It has a different feeling," Dahyun replied while looking on the ground, "It feels... empty."

Since Jimin was still gone to look for some materials, Jungkook also took the opportunity to ask her, "What happened?"

Dahyun merely stared at him but Jungkook then added, "You know what I am talking about."

She looked at the ground guiltily before confessing, "I think I said too much to him."

"What did you say to him?" Jungkook probed.

"That he wears a mask," Dahyun whispered.

So... you have discovered.

"But he needs to change," Dahyun continued, her gaze softening in sadness, "His actions won't be good for him and the people around him."

"Jimin has always been like that. All that we could do is stay beside him," Jungkook replied.

"Were you doing that all these years?" Dahyun asked him. Jungkook nodded in reply which made Dahyun furrow her eyebrows. She exclaimed, "Then, you are wrong. Jimin needs to change for the better, and we can do something about that."

Jungkook's face softened as he saw the determination in Dahyun's countenance when she repeated, "We should do something about it."

Suddenly, the door opened and when Jimin entered, it was Dahyun who informed them that she was leaving, "I'll just take this work home. I need to go somewhere."

Jungkook was speechless as the girl left so suddenly but when he turned to Jimin, the male resumed his work, acting so nonchalant.

----------

2000

A seven-year old Jungkook heard a piano playing in a nearby room as he wandered around before the music competition would start. He peeked at the door and saw a boy about his age, playing with precise skills.

He is gifted.

Suddenly, the door swung open, making the boy and Jungkook stunned. Little Jungkook stammered, "O-o-oh. I-I'm sorry. I-I-I was just wondering where the sound came from."

The boy beamed before asking, "Do you play piano too?"

Jungkook slowly nodded, "Yes. My mom used to play piano, so I know little."

The boy then motioned Jungkook to come as he said, "Let's play."

"But my father had forbidden me to play piano again," Jungkook pouted.

"But your father is not here," he chuckled, "He won't know. I promise."

Jungkook was still hesitant but the boy spoke again with a wide grin, "You won't have fun if you always worry!"