Never (Chapter 17)

Casey's POV

It's almost as if everything in my body rebooted. I could feel my eyes burn red as he collapsed to the ground. Rick let out a cry and covered his mouth. Ron was being eaten alive, like he deserved.

Without even thinking I swooped down and picked up Carl. He was weightless in my arms. I stared forward trying not to distract myself with his face. Michonne took her katana and began killing a path for us. With every kill she let out a cry. Rick stumbled behind us killing from the back.

This is the third time I've carried Carl Grimes unconscious in my arms. From where he was shot back in the woods and I carried him to Hershel's far. To when we reunited when the prison was over thrown with walkers. And now, as his life rests in my hands once again.

My ears were ringing as the door opened. I didn't care who it was, I wasn't letting him go. My eyes went into focus and I felt my arms grown weak. I quickly set Carl down before I dropped him.

"Gun wound?" Denise asked.

"Hand gun, close range." Michonne replied.

"Please save him, please." Rick mumbled with his breath shortened.

I placed my hand in Carl's hand then kissed his forehead. I backed away as Denise started shouting commands. I turned to Rick with tears in my eyes. I wrapped my arms around him as the tears went down my face. They burned. My tears burned again.

"Casey." Rick mumbled.

I pulled away to see two whole burned into his shirt. I mumbled an apology turning back to Carl. Rick looked out the window with his eyes darting from place to place. He pulled out his axe and headed for the door.

"Rick!" Michonne cried. I stopped her from going after him.

"I got this." I followed behind him before the door shut.

He walked straight forward into the along the porch. I wanted to call his name but I didn't want to attract walkers to us. He began going at the walkers with pure anger.

"Rick!" I cried. "Stop!" He kept going.

He went off the porch and I followed him and he tried to take on them all. Not soon after Michonne and the others came out to get Rick. As they fought the walkers off I grabbed Rick's face.

"Is this what we need to do?" I asked, he nodded.

"There's no other way."

"Alright then."

As more people came out of houses to fight with us my eyes turned red and I climbed up one of porches. I pulled myself onto the roof feeling for my gun. I took out my knife and gun and stood up.

"Come at me, bitches!" I shouted slicing into my arm.

Walkers head began to turn towards me. They picked up their pace and came for me. I aimed my gun and shot them off with all the bullets I could. I whipped off the bottom of my shirt and wrapped it around my arm to stop the bleeding. I jumped off the roof grabbing the whip by my side. I slashed it around killing them off on by one.

I climbed back on the roof and caught my breath. I looked around and saw something. Maggie, Enid was with her. Then I heard machine guns go off. Sasha and Abraham! I need to get to them.

I looked around and decided the only way was to jump from roof to roof. Was it safe? No. Do I care? Nope. I took off as fast as I could jumping from one house to another. My legs are just as strong as my arms. At some point the houses ended and I ha to run the rest of the way. The truck was now inside and Maggie and Enid we're getting down. I saw Glenn and a smile crossed my face. Then I saw Jared and my smiled got bigger.

"Casey!" He cried. We joined in a hug, I didn't know if he was alive or dead. Now I know.

"Just the girl we need. You got blood to spare?" Daryl asked.

"Depends, you've got a plan?" I smirked.

"You know it."

We poured gasoline into the pond. Our plan was to blow it up and get the walkers to burn with it. I stood on the top of the truck with Daryl as we drove away from the pond.

"May I?" I asked smiling.

"It's all yours." He handed me the rocket launcher.

"Welcome to the end of your life."

Boom.

Within seconds the pond was lit up with hot fire. I could feel the heat cover my face. I wiped the sweat from under my eyes and grabbed the machine gun from behind me. As the walkers neared the pond I began to shoot them off.

Blood and guts were all to be seen for miles. When I ran out of amo I joined the others using my whip. I felt alive yet dead. My anger for Carl was unleashed onto the dead. And by morning, all that was left was bodies. We did it.

After the last check through Rick, me and a few others made we met back at the infirmary. A huge smile was over my face as I faced Rick. He gave me a small smile and I ran up to him and jumped in his arms laughing.

"You did it, Rick." I whispered.

"We all did it. You should go get stitched up." I nodded and walked inside. Denise was working of Daryl so I helped myself. I stood in the bathroom stitching up my wounds then I turned on the shower. I washed everything off watching the dirt and blood go down the drain.

When I got out I looked around the bathroom for any clothes. I found a white shirt and grey shorts folded neatly in a cabinet. I wondered who it belonged to.

I stared in the mirror at my now clean face. I traced my finger down the scar on my face and neck. After attempting to brush my hair for ten minutes I took out my knife. It's about time. I took my hair and held it straight out. Then I took the knife and cut through my hair right above my shoulders. I watched my hair go down the drain then I easily brushed through it.

Once I left the bathroom and walked back into the infirmary the first person I saw was Jared. He stopped in his tracks to look at me. He gave me a small smile and I gave him a nod. I walked past him and went into the room where Carl was. A bandage was wrapped around his eye. I moved the covers and crawled in next to him wrapping my arms around his waist. He was cold, I was warm. I listened to his breathing patterns when Rick walked in. He sat down and sighed.

"I was wrong," he spoke to Carl. "I thought that living in these walls for so long that, maybe they couldn't learn. But today, I saw what they could do. What we could do. If we work together we can rebuild the walls. We'll expand the walls, there's gonna be more, there's gotta be more. Everything Deanna was talking about is possible. It's all possible. I see that now. When I was out there with them... when it was over... when I knew we had this place again. I had this feeling. It took me awhile to remember what it was..." he began to cry. "Because I haven't felt it since I woke up in that hospital bed and saw that note from J. I wanna show you the new world Carl. I wanna make it a reality for you. Please, Carl... let me show you. Please son, don't die."

"We love you." I whispered into Carl's ear taking his hand. Slowly I felt Carl's fingers wrap around my hand. My eyes teared up as I smiled. "Rick." I whispered. He looked down in shock. I kissed Carl's cheeks and laid by his side. I'll never let him die. Never.

Hello Immunies! I hope your summer is good so far! I just got back from the Outer Banks beach and was really medicated to write so here we are! I've missed you guys! The song is Welcome to the End of your Life by Ross Lynch (The Driver Era) Have a great summer! Much Love!