39

MaKayla

I sat on the couch in the studio while Dave did his thing. Smoke filled the air and everyone was vibing to the beat. Dave had a bunch of guys he knew from Harlem here and of course they brought girls with them. Everybody was cool and their energy was good.

"Yo! Play that back one more time." Dave spoke

Watching how he makes his songs has always been interesting to me. The fact that he rarely writes anything down shows how creative he really is.

The beat played over and his faint mumbling could be heard. He said a couple lines and played them back to hear himself. This went on until he had a full verse. He came out of the booth and sat in one of the swivel chairs. He pulled a fronto leaf out his pocket and began to roll up. He was sitting there texting me like I wasn't in the room.

Daddy 💙
I'm tryna eat that 👅
11:02PM

Me
When?
11:02PM

Daddy 💙
Right now
11:03PM

Me
Stop playing
11:04PM

Daddy 💙
Deadass mama. Come here let me taste it
11:05PM

Me
Bye 😂 not with all these people in here
11:05PM

Daddy 💙
Heard ju. Gimme like 45 minutes
11:06PM

I shook my head and locked my phone. I looked up and Dave was looking right at me.

Dave

"Yooo! Wassup live." I looked at my phone as I lit my blunt. "What's cracking. What ya'll doing?"

I read a couple of the comments that came up.

"Mike, start that last joint over. I think I'ma add another verse to that shit."

I took a pull from the blunt and thought about what I could add.

"Aye Chet. Come hold my phone." I flipped the camera around so it would be on me once he got it. I went back into the booth and started to piece together my second verse.

"You never bagged up a pack
You don't know how to get back
You be surrounded by rats  
Get robbed you not gettin' it back
You never been with a fiend
You never witnessed a murder
You never been on a scene
The type that we ain't never heard of
My bitch in love with the purses
I might go pick up a Birkin
I'm killin' these niggas on purpose
I don't mix the Henny, I'm swervin"

"Run that back" I spoke loudly over the music. "I really be sliding on niggas." I directed my attention to the phone.

I looked out into the studio at Kayla as I danced around and she laughed.