16

Dave

"I'm coming to get Kairi today." Crystal's loud voice came through the speakers of my phone.

"For what? You're supposed to come tomorrow."

"Well I'm leaving early in the morning tomorrow and my grandparents want to see her so I'm coming today so have her ready."

"What time you coming?"

"Bye!" The call ended

I sighed and tossed my phone onto the bed. That girl gets on my nerves. The only thing Im thankful for is her giving me Kairi.

My ringing doorbell pulled me from my thoughts.

"Who could that be?" I asked myself as I looked over at the clock, noticing that it was 8:45AM.

I jogged down the stairs and opened the front door. MaKayla stood there texting on her phone.

"You're early." I closed the door behind her

"I know." She dropped her bag in the living room and sat down

"You good? You didn't have to come this early. Kairi is getting picked up today too so you probably didn't have to come at all."

"I just needed to get out of the house." She finally held her head up and her eyes were red and puffy.

"You been crying?"

"Yea. I'm good now though."

"What happened?"

She sat back in the chair and twisted one of her curls around her finger. "My boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend."

"Damn. That's fucked up." I looked over at her and a tear rolled down her cheek. I hate seeing females cry. "Come on, don't cry." I wiped her face

"What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing. You're perfect."

"Apparently not if he cheated."

"That's his loss. You're beautiful, talented, you have a dope personality and everything. Fuck him. I bet you he'll be begging for you back."

"Awww you think I'm beautiful." She leaned over and pinched my cheek

"Chill out." I laughed and turned my head. "But yea, you beautiful mama. Don't ever forget that." I looked over at her

She wrapped her arms around me in an embrace. "I needed that. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

We both sat there in a daze staring at each other then it happened. I leaned in and kissed her. Surprisingly, she kissed me back. We pulled away hearing Kairi cries come through the monitor.

"I'll go get her." I jumped up

MaKayla

I watched Dave walk out of the living room. I fell back onto the couch and grabbed a pillow to silence my screams.

"What the fuck just happened." I quietly spoke to myself. "Calm down." I coached as I ran my hands through my curls.

"Kairi." I smiled and reached for her when Dave came back

She leaned towards me and I grabbed her. She laid her head on my shoulder as she rubbed her eye.

"Aww. You still sleepy?" I sat her on my lap so I could see her face. "You hungry?"

She nodded.

"You want some pancakes and eggs?"

"Cakes!" She smiled