8

MaKayla

I walked into my bedroom and dropped my bookbag by the door. I laid across my bed and closed my eyes. I was so sleepy in class today.

"MaKayla Danielle Carter." My mother walked into my bedroom

"Yes?"

"Sit up and look at me." She demanded

I groaned loudly and sat up. She stood there with the maddest look on her face.

"What's this I hear about you going to some concert?.......On a school night?" She crossed her arms.

I looked behind her and Raven stood in the hallway with a slick smile on her face.

"Ma. It wasn't a big concert it was just a small show."

"I don't care what it was. You know the rules. So I guess you lied to us about the project just so you could get out the house? Give me your keys." She held her hand out

"No ma! We do have a project to do. We worked on that before we left!"

"Keys. Now." She spoke through gritted teeth

I huffed and walked over to my desk and handed her my keys.

"That's 2 weeks."

"2 weeks?! Come on ma! That's not fair!"

"I don't want to hear it." She held her hand up as she walked out of my room

"You a fucking snitch." I pointed at Raven before closing my bedroom door.

"Watch your mouth!" My mom yelled. "Don't make it 3 weeks!"

~~~~~~~

"Yes bro. She took my fucking keys two days ago. I thought I told you." I rolled my eyes as I talked to Christian as I waited outside for the bus.

"Damn babe. If I wasn't busy I could've taken you to school this morning. I might be able to come pick you up."

I sighed. "That's ok. I have track practice after school today and you'll be at work by then."

"Ok well smile baby girl." I could tell he was smiling himself. "I gotta go though. I love you."

"I love you too." I hung up my phone and slid it in my back pocket.

The bus came shortly after and I got on, sitting towards the back. I hated riding the bus. I looked out the window the entire time until we arrived at school.

I walked through the halls of the school until I reached my first period. The bell rung right after I sat down. I pulled my hood up on my head as I slouched down in the seat, crossing my arms.

"Ok class, before we began today, we have a new student." Ms. Washington spoke

I looked up from my phone and there was a guy standing at the front of the calls. He had dreads and they were pulled up into a neat bun.

"My name is Alexander but I go by Zoie or Zo and I'm from Atlanta." He spoke

"MaKayla?" Ms. Washington called my name

"Yes?"

"I have picked you to show him around." She smiled.

"Cool." I slightly nodded and focused back on my phone.

The remainder of class, I have no idea what was said because I had my earphones in and my head down. I heard the loud ass bell ring and I sat up, grabbing my bag off the floor. I walked over to Zoie and waited for him to pack up.

"I'm MaKayla." I smiled "Can I see your schedule?"

I looked over his schedule as I walked out and he was in all of my classes. I walked up to where my friends were waiting and introduced them.

"Friends, this is Zoie." I motioned. "And Zoie this is Diamond, Mina and Mieko but we call her Ming." I pointed

They greeted each other and we began walking down the hall. We took the stairs up to the second floor. I made sure to show Zoie where the main places he would need was.

We all walked into our second class; Spanish. Which is easy for me.

"Hola a todos" Mr. Rodriquez greeted the class.

He passed out a couple worksheets and we began working.

"I know you lying." Zo looked over the worksheet. "What this say?" He leaned over.

"Espejo means mirror." I laughed

"You already speak spanish don't you?" He asked. "You answered that too quick."

"I do." I nodded

"So you know you about to be my personal cheat sheet." He laughed

11:45AM

We were currently walking to the lunchroom. Zo fit right in with our group and he's hilarious. We all went through the lunch line and got our tray.

Zo sat across from me and closed his eyes as he began praying over his food.

"Thank you God for this food. Bless the hands that prepared this meal. It was a lot of men in the kitchen. I know I'm a male myself and I act a little feminine but when I be going into the bathrooms. I know some men don't really be washing they hands. Anyway, bless this food Jesus. Amen." He opened his eyes and took a bite of his chicken sandwich.

Me and Diamond looked at each other and laughed. "What was that?"

"Girl. You never know about these people." He answered.

"So Zo....we're having a girls night at my house tonight since it's Friday and I wanted to know if you wanted to come?" Diamond asked

"Sure." He nodded

Later that night

"Ok, would you smash or pass Dwight Howard?" Zo asked

"Pass." Me and Diamond said at the same time

"I think Ima pass too." Ming added

"Shit. Ion know." Mina laughed.

"That's money. I know I would. Top me down." Zo smiled then laughed

"I can't with you." I laughed.

We sat around all night talking about any and everything. Zo is cool as hell. I can't believe how well he fits in with us. Although he made it clear that Ming's 'spirit' was off. Whatever that means.