31. Family and Friends Day

Excuse any mistakes or grammatical errors.

Nadia

When I woke up Friday morning, Ro wasn't in the room. I guess her family was already here. When I went to see my therapist a few days ago, she informed me about my dad calling. I was happy to hear that he and Malaya were coming to visit today. I missed them. I wondered if Dani was going to come as well. Part of me wanted her to, but another part of me felt like it would be best if she didn't.

I got freshened up and made my way down to the first floor. I wasn't expecting my dad and Malaya to be here already but before I could even make out who it was I was being wrapped up in a hug. I hadn't made any other friends here and Ro would never be that happy to see me, so it could only have been one person.

"I missed you so much!" My dad said nearly suffocating me in his arms.

"Dad I missed you too, but I can't breathe." I struggled to speak through my laughter and lack of oxygen.

"Nas, please don't kill my niece before I get to hug her." I heard Malaya's voice and my dad finally let me go, but not before planting a kiss on my forehead.

"Hey, Nadi." Malaya opened her arms and I felt like a little kid as I wrapped my arms around her.

"Lay Lay, I missed you so much." I mumbled into her shoulder.

"I guess the answer to this is obvious, but Dani's not here is she?" I asked trying not to seem as hopeful as I was. I'm sorry, but I missed her. A lot.

"She had a game today, but she's going to come when she has a Friday free and I promise not to miss one." My dad spoke and Malaya nodded.

"Same, I've already talked to my boss, so my Friday's are dedicated to you." Malaya spoke and I smiled.

"Thank you. Both of you. I know you're here because you want to be, but I still want to say thank you. There are people here that don't have anyone come for this day, so I appreciate you being here." I spoke sincerely.

"Of course, Princess." My dad said pulling me into another hug, but this one didn't almost suffocate me.

"You know I'm always going to be here for you." Malaya smiled.

"So what is there to do around this place?" My dad asked perking up a little. I  guess he was sick of being emotional.

"A lot actually. But I usually just stick around my room when I'm not in a therapy session or the library. My roommate just reads all the time and I've found myself doing the same. She's good company. I would let you meet her, but I haven't seen her today. She must be with her family somewhere." I said looking around, but still not seeing Ro.

"I'm glad you made a friend." My dad smiled. "But I don't really feel like reading right now, how about we just sit down somewhere and catch up?"

"That's fine with me, we can go to the cafeteria and grab something to eat. I haven't had breakfast yet." I admitted.

"Well then let's do that." My dad shrugged.

Once we were seated in the cafeteria and I had gotten my food. The three of us just talked.

"Dani wanted me to tell you that she isn't upset with you about you two not having talked since you left. I explained to her why that was, but she wanted me to let you know that even if you just didn't want to speak to her, she wouldn't hold it against you. She doesn't want to make this about her or your relationship with her. She knows you're doing this for you and she respects that." My dad informed me and I smiled.

"I have something for her." I said remembering the letter I wrote, but was too scared to send to her. It also took some convincing from Ro to write in the first place, it exists and now I can actually get it to Dani. Of course she knew I'd think she was mad at me and now that I know she isn't, I don't feel as scared to get it to her.