2. Awkward Situations

Excuse any mistakes or grammatical errors.

Nadia

"Ugh, I miss Dani." I whined to Chastity like I'd been doing for a majority of the summer.

"I know." Chastity sighed. "You've been saying that for months, yet you haven't made an effort to fix things with her."

Chastity made it clear that she was sick of me whining to her, but she's the only person I could whine to at the moment. I couldn't talk to Jayla because she'd just tell Dani and Aniya wasn't my biggest fan since I "broke her sister's heart".

I could talk to Malaya, but she wasn't around since she graduated. I couldn't talk to Gio either because he'd also tell Dani. Curse bro code. How does it even apply to Dani? I don't know.

"I know I should talk to her, but I don't know how. I broke up with her for a good reason. Well, I thought it was at the time. I just acted on an impulse." I said feeling like an idiot.

"You still don't want to tell me why you did it? It's not like I'm gonna say anything." Chastity said and I knew I could trust her with anything else, but not this.

"I would tell you, but I feel like it's so stupid that you might go tell Dani."

"My loyalty lies with you, Nadia. No matter how stupid it is, I won't say anything. I promise."

I thought about it for a minute. I trusted Chastity and she told me everything that was going on in her life, so I owed it to her to be open about things in my life. No matter how stupid they may be.

"Fine, I'll tell you." I gave in. "Remember How Dani and I were having issues last year? We almost broke up, but we fixed everything. Things were going well for us, but once we left for the summer, things got weird. We started off calling each other everyday. We'd always FaceTime and text, but as weeks passed, we talked less. We texted every now and then, but then that stopped too."

Chastity was paying close attention to me as I spoke and I appreciated that. She's such a great listener.

"I could feel us drifting apart and I know she felt it too. One day she FaceTimed me out of the blue and told me how she was feeling. She told me that we didn't feel like a couple anymore. She said that she hated being away from me because it didn't feel the same. I agreed with her. I told her that we probably just weren't the long distance type." I explained.

"Just thinking back to that time makes me sad because Dani was so emotional. I was too, but it's rare for her to show such raw emotions. She blamed herself for us growing apart, but we both played a hand in it. With long distance, the effort to communicate has to be mutual and we both failed at that. Despite everything, we agreed to try harder and things got better."

Chastity smiled a little at that.

"Though we were communicating more, it wasn't good enough for me. I don't think it was good enough for Dani either, but she never said anything about it. I got sick of only speaking to her through a phone and seeing her through a screen. I needed to be with her, so I asked my dad if I could fly out to New York to surprise her."

"Awwww that's so romantic." Chastity cooed and I rolled my eyes.

"He told me he didn't want me flying by myself, so I asked him to come with me. He agreed to go with me, but he told me that I needed to let someone know we were coming because it would be hella weird to just show up." I recalled. "So I called Ms. Fuller and told her what I was planning. I asked her to keep it a secret and she agreed. She said that once we got there, my dad and I could stay at her house for however long we'd be there."