Strange wings

Soft heat seemed to stroke my face, and as my senses slowly came to me, I felt like I was in a bed of silk. For a few moments I was very confused, as I didn't remember being anywhere near any silk, til I opened my eyes.

Beautiful brown feathers laid all around me, and under me, softly wrapping around my sides, as though cradling my body. I felt some with my fingers, and nearly gasped as they seemed to move towards me too. I'll have to ask Mathew about this later I thought, and say in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the glow of morning sun entering the window, and the soft feel of my wings.

Once I finally dragged myself out of bed, I groggily got dressed, fixed my hair and wiped the sleep from my eyes. I kept stopping, and admiring my wings. They'd never acted like this before, I'd only ever seen them three times in my life. All of which, happened to be rather bad.

The first time my weeks grew, was when I was six. I remember being in more pain than I ever imagined, and screaming for two days, as they came out. My mother took me to the doctor, mainly because my father refused to come near me. The doctors told us that these were to be kept a secret and that they would surgically remove them. Once the surgery was done, I felt empty for a long while.

The second time, I was in danger. I was 13. I was at the school yard, and three boys were cornering me. One was yelling insults at me, mainly homophobic ones. The next one was closing in on me, making sure I couldn't escape, and the third one jumped out and held me in place. The boys then proceeded to kick me, until my wings sprouted and forced them away from me, seeming to have a mind of their own. That time it didn't hurt. The wings dissolved when teachers hauled the boys away form me and assured me I was okay.

The last time was when I went to get my sister.

I figured I'd just have to deal with them for now, ask Mathew if they eventually leave or stay. I liked the idea of them staying, they were very lovely. I cut holes for them in one of my shirts, knowing Noah could fix it later, and waddled down to the galley.

I knocked, and explained that no one should freak out when I walked in, that I'll just look a little different. After I heard them all agree to not flip, I walked round the doorway, and made my way through the room to my normal seat, ignoring the gasps from every one.

Once I sat down and got a bowl of the porridge for breakfast, I looked up to see the reactions. Mathew seemed interested, and had a grin on his face. Alice, looked with awe, as if these were the most beautiful things she'd ever seen. Noah smiles cheekily at me and continued his work. Benjamin had a bright red face, and was suddenly very interested in the wood on the table.

Giggling to myself I returned my attention to my food, and began to eat peacefully. That was until, Mathew erupted into laughter and the rest of the room did too, all except for Benjamin who was still blushing quite a lot.

"Well lass, looks like you've got wings then, care to tell me when that happened?" Mathew asked, once the room calmed down.

"I woke up with them, and I vaguely remember them growing when I fell asleep"

His response was just a 'hmm' and a small smile.

"Will they be like this for long? Or will they dissolve?"

"Dissolve?!? Has this happened before?" Mathew asked, and when I nodded he chuckled. "Well, my guess is that this time they'll leave when you want them too. They probably will come back when you want as well. You're very strongly connected, more strong than I thought... I'll have to do some research on it. For the mean time, try and see if you can get them to.. uh.. 'dissolve' and if you can, make them come back again?"

When I nodded, he took that as his queue to leave, and left with a smile.
Alice walked over and sat next to me, and gave me a smile. That's when Benjamin seemed to get his voice back, and he turned to me.