Job placement

I was awakened by a few knocks, and got up to answer the door of my new room. On the other side was a rather amused looking Benjamin, his face confused me for a second before I realised I must look terrible. I smoothed back my hair and shot him a glance, to which he held his hands up in apology. We walked to the kitchen and I instantly could smell a stew.  We sat down and started to eat the stew, when i commented on how good it was, to which Noah replied with a blush and a smile.
"It's much better than any of us could make" laughed Mathew.
Once we were done Mathew motioned for me to follow him.
"Now, would you happen to have any sort of experience that could help around here?" He asked.
I thought for a minute, and was reminded of the times id been on boats, but those where all sail boats, and a very long time ago. He took my lack of answer as a question.
"Well you could work in the engines if you had any mechanical experience, or you could help Alice up the top, or help Noah do the house chores, or perhaps just get a hand in everything until you know what you'd like to do. Once we get that settled we'll get to work on letting you go home"
I nodded, and instantly realised how stupid I was. "I've worked with car engines for half my life, and I can tie knots alright, I can hunt and fish, I can clean as I used to keep my house clean as well as feed my family, and I would be happy to do anything you'd like, but engines have always been my favourite thing to work with"
He nodded and led me down to the lower decks, helping me jump into what I supposed was the engine room.
"Now the thing about us, is not only are we traders but we smuggle much needed food supplies to the refugees and the people stuck in the war"
This left me dumbfounded, I never knew there was a war. I didn't even know what refugees where. "What do you mean war? And what refugees?"
"Oh- most the other countries are at war right now. Your country doesn't tell of it, and they've stayed away for along time, keeping their people in the dark, but the rest of the world is in shambles. An argument started between the leaders, and one thing led to another. Now we just fight each other till we all die off."
I was shocked. I thought the leaders stopped the war, not start another one. The only reason we had the rules where to stop fights, yet now they where tearing the world apart.
"Now the thing with our engines, as I was saying, is that we run on tika pieces. Tika is a mineral that when melted is a great use for fuel, and is pretty handy to come by. Most ships use normal fuel, but this one gives us an extra boost and allows us to finish our jobs faster and quieter, but the rest of the engines is the same as any old boat. I'll show the works and get you used to it, then I'll take you up only the deck and maybe we'll rest out those powers of yours"
I nodded, and felt excited about the last part. If I got to use my powers at full extent, perhaps it would be even more amazing then just running. We spent the next few hours going through how the engine ran, what problems are caused by, how to add more fuel and when, and how to do basic cleaning and repairing. He was impressed I caught up so fast, and when we were done he took me towards the top deck, when rabbit cane running down towards us, looking frightened and irritated.
"The bloody patrols attacking the ship, you better get out there, I'll quickly get out of my clothes and change so that I don't rip my good ones." He barked, and the man told me I should stay behind.
"No way and I staying behind. I'm gonna see what my powers can do"
He simply sighed and started running to get to the top deck, and once I reached there I realised we must be miles out to sea. I hadn't even noticed we left. Must've happened when I fell asleep.
My thoughts where interrupted by shouted from the patrol, and Alice yelling for Mathew to hurry up. I watched for a second, stunned at the sight before me. Alice was being dragged in cuffs back to their boat, and she was covered in cuts and bruises. I saw Mathew tremble, and felt my wings sprout and I lifted off the ground.
Just before I went to attack, I heard Matthew mutter "holy shit" beside me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, I know it seems boring at the moment, but the next chapter is also the first fight scene I've ever written, so I hope it fulfills some of you, but other then that, you will need to keep waiting till it gets even more interesting! Anyways, see ya tomorrow