Chapter 15

Susanna

I opened my eyes feeling groggy and weak and I noticed how I was leant against a cold and bare concrete wall. When I looked around, I was in a small room that looked like it was kept for storage. Boxes piled high in the corners of the room and old, dusty containers were dotted around the place here and there. What on earth happened? I tried to stand up but felt a huge wave of pane crawl through each one of my wrists. I looked down and saw the thing that made any Fae shudder with fear.

Iron

Huge iron cuffs pulled my arms down to the floor and restrained me from getting up off the floor and onto my two feet. I blinked continuously as my vision began to blur and become less vivid and my memory began to clear. My flowery t-shirt hurt my eyes, despite the fact it was only in pastel colours. And then I remembered. Eugene had stormed out, but why? I didn't do anything! They were lies, all lies!

Hatred for Tanya washed over me. Eugene was right, I should have listened to him, and now he's gone in a rage with me when he doesn't really know what's happening... does he?

I tried to shout, but every time I opened my mouth, I just gasped for more air. My vision became even less clear than before and I began to lose the feeling in my arms. My jeans seemed to rub against my legs, even though I wasn't moving and they were comfortable. To make it even worse, my whole body was numb and stiff, like when you've done too much exercise in a day and when you wake up the next morning, your body aches every time you move. Well, it was kind of like that... but ten times worse.

The click of a lock somewhere in the room bought me back to reality and my head slowly looked up. The creaking of the door seemed extremely quiet, but still for some reason make me wince. Standing in the corner of the room, near a pile of cardboard boxes was Tanya, her deep reddy-pink wings almost lighting up the darkness. I swallowed, but even that was painful.

"Hello Susie" she purred, her eyes glowing "How are you?"

"Get...lost," I said, all sense of strength disappearing

"Well aren't you rude? I just came to give you some company," she hissed and she took a step towards me.

"You remind me of someone I know... or used to" I hissed back

"Oh really? And who is that?"

"Zach" I said, wincing at his name

"Don't you mention his name!" She shouted, startling me "Don't... don't you dare!" She screamed, her voice sounding chocked. I looked at her, my eyes wide with shock

"I dare" Narrowing my eyes, I glared at her, hoping I'd frighten her or at least make her feel uncomfortable. But me doing so just got her even more wound up. "You killed him" she whispered, taking another step towards me

"Yes" I nodded ever so slightly as my neck tensed and a prickling sensation stabbed at it. "And I hate to think that I did" I replied honestly "I'm a killer. I killed a living, breathing, soul. A person. A creature. Ok? I did!" I took a deep breath as my heart pounded in my chest and my throat began to feel soar. "But I had to do it, you have to understand that I had to. Would you rather a stranger die or a whole kingdom?"

"He was no stranger!" She shouted over me, taking numerous steps towards me now and opening her wings, making her look twice as more threatening and powerful. "He was my brother," she added with a whisper. My whole body grew cold and I stared at her, reality beginning to sink in. I'd never thought about his family. Despite how sick minded and evil he was, I never thought about his parents or siblings or friends. I just presumed he was angry and alone. "He was... your brother?" I repeated what she had said, just to let it sink in a little more.