Chapter 7

Susanna

The next morning

I woke up from my deep and peaceful slumber to the sound of maids roaming the corridors and the murmur of voices and vitality. My eyes stayed closed as I rolled onto my side and reached my hand out to snuggle up to Eugene, only to be comforted by the soft material of the bed sheets. I sat up, dazed and confused as I looked at where Eugene was sleeping to find only the dent of where his body lay. Rubbing my eyes, I gave a yawn and looked around the royal room. The sun was shining intensely through the thick rose curtains, illuminating every gold object in the room, from the paint of the vanity table to the gold vines of the chandelier.

Sitting up and crawling out of the four poster bed, I slipped on the pale blue silk wrap that dangled like a wave on the side of the bed, and let its smooth material cool down my skin. Wrapping it tightly around my waist, I let the silk swoosh around my ankles and and headed out of the bedroom door.

The guest suite was on the second floor of the castle, and consisted of a lounge, office, bathroom, bedroom and ensuite. It must have been the size of a bungalow, and was offered to Eugene so that he could be in the castle at all times, keeping watch of the kingdom and Orla instead of having to travel every morning. Of course, I asked why he didn't live there in the first place, considering he spent most of his time there anyway, to which he replied, "I'm not royalty Susie, nor am I entirely Fae. I have no right to live there"

"But you do have a right if the Queen wishes you to. Its a guest room, and if you are her guest then why is it so wrong?"

"Look, living in a castle would cross my line"

"You're line of what?"

"Normality."

"You crossed that line as soon as you met me"

"Very true"

I tiptoed out of the guest room and onto the corridor of the first floor, where cleaners were polishing the ice marble veined with grey strokes of colour down the far end, and plumping up the cushions of regal pearl sofas patterned with ivy. They smiled and nodded their head politely as I passed, before entering the guest room to tidy up after me.

As I stepped down the large flight of marble stairs, the hum of noise and life began to crescendo. A couple of maids passed me, dressed in calf length grey skirts patterned with gold thread that glowed in the light and white shirts with the same patterning on the collar and sleeves. As I continued to travel down, I was met with advisors dressed in smart suits and florists in bright dresses and waitresses in white shirts and waistcoats. And there I was, barefoot with only a skimpy silk nightdress on and matching to the floor wrap. Nevertheless, as I made my way through the Grand Hall, I was greeted with the same polite nods and smiles as my wings and my hair trailed behind me.

"Mornin' ma'am " A voice travelled through my ear from behind me. I turned and came face to face with the guy with chestnut hair that flopped in front of his round owl glasses, framing bright, intelligent eyes. He was dressed in a pair of skinny black suit trousers and matching waistcoat, a pastel blue shirt with gold birds that danced around the crippling material and a plain gold tie. Startling blue wings stuck out behind him, rigid and strong, yet showing tears at the corners. A parcel brown folder was tucked beneath his arm as a sleek black briefcase with a gold stamped broach in the centre swung in his other hand.

"Hi..." I grinned wildly at an attempt to distract him of the fact that I clearly could remember his name and racked my brains.

"Mason" he finished my sentence as I gave an embarrassed chuckle

"Of course, Mason"

"Haven't seen you around the castle since you first came here" He flashed a pearly smile before pushing up his glasses with the tip of his index finger