Chapter 3

Susanna

"Fairtyale fairytale fairytale" Freya muttered as her fingers lightly skimmed the vibrant colours and silky dresses that hung neatly on the rail in front of us.

"Theres too many to chose from" Amber yawned "Besides, I already have mine... and it totally does not fit the theme"

"It doesn't have to. The theme of the venue is fairytale, doesn't mean we have to dress like a princess or anything, right Susie?" Freya looked up at me with tired blue eyes

"Right..." I muttered, completely disinterested in the whole prom thing.

"What's your dress like anyway Amber?"

"Its red, slinky, to the floor, backless, no jewels on it at all"

"You could be the red queen or something" I shrugged, my eyes wide with sarcasm

"Actually... thats not a bad idea. Dress it up with some flowery gold jewellery and voila, I'm a Queen" I rolled my eyes as I scanned the room full of every colour you could possibly imagine. I was so not in the mood for this.

"I wasn't actually being serious but ok"

"Are you still hungover?" Amber raised her eyebrows questioningly "Because you have such an arse on you"

"I just... I don't know. The thought of prom right now..."

"Why? Because you don't have a date? Susie we're going together"

"No its not that" I shook my head "Just the fairytale theme is bugging me. And I can't believe its my birthday next friday. I can't believe I'm finally turning 18"

"You're so lucky" Amber moaned "I mean, you get to have prom on your birthday. A fairytale ball"

"So lucky..." I trailed off, feeling anything but.

"Hey, I think I'm just gonna get that dress I saw when I went with my mom a few weeks ago. They reserved one for me. I don't think I can see any other that matches up to that one"

"So we're just looking for Susie" Amber sighed "Ok, lets stop moping, and don't even think about denying it because I know you are, and lets find you the perfect dress"

"Ok" I smiled slightly before rubbing my eyes tiredly and shaking my head as an attempt to wake myself up. Going out last night was a seriously bad idea. Now I was just going to be grouchy whilst I looked for my prom dress. Not to mention the fact that I'd left it way to late to buy a dress. All the nice ones had probably gone.

"Long or short?"

"Long"

"What about this one?" She stated as her hand disappeared into drapes of cloth and she pulled out a deep purple silk dress with beautiful gold jewels on the hip

"I don't know..."I muttered uneasily."I mean, I do want to feel different, I want to feel magical and pretty you know...elegant"

"What about white?"

"Too much like a wedding dress"

"Ok... what about stone?"

"Yeah I guess... I just don't want a dark colour"

"You sure? I mean, personally I think a nice rosewood or mulberry colour would look lovely. I've seen some lovely dresses in those colours too" Amber advised "You can either go for sweet, innocent but graceful in light colours, or majestic, mysterious and powerful in a dark colour"

"Oh God..." I muttered as I traipsed around the shop. I weaved between plush cream stools studded with silver faux diamonds as my feet automatically took me to an isle of dresses in beautiful purples and lilacs. I smiled gently to myself as I remembered how elegant I looked in the dress Eugene had got me, how magical I looked with my wings spread out behind me in whisps and curls.