Chapter 12

Eugene

I woke up to a quiet house, something it hadn't been for a long time and something that I now realised I didn't like. A small groan escaped my lips as I rolled onto my side and threw my arm over to Susanna, only to be greeted by the bounce of my spring mattress. A subconscious frown spread across my face as I pushed myself up and squinted my eyes open. Where Susanna not long ago lay, was instead the rumple of duvet that had been pulled back as she had obviously got up. I looked at the time that read 11AM, so getting out of bed; I stretched my arms as an attempt to wake up my body before heading out the bedroom and into the bathroom. Taking a quick ten minute shower and letting my hair and skin soak in the hot, steaming water, I dried myself off with a fresh, clean towel and stepped back into my room. Searching through my drawers, my hair still dripping wet, I pulled out a pair of overly worn black jeans, a dark green long sleeved top, which I rolled up, and a pair of black lace up boots.

Traipsing out of my bedroom, I opened the door to the spare room where Susie used to sleep. Peeping though the crack in the door, I pushed it open to reveal the empty, cream room. I left the room and decided to go downstairs

As I stepped down, Marcus came into view, his lanky body sprawled across the sofa with the TV flickering with life. His head remained focused on his phone as his fingers jabbed away at the screen.

"Morning" I said, causing him to look up from his phone and flash me a smile

"Hey" He said before looking back down

"Are you watching this or not?" I said turning off the television anyway.

"No"

"Where is everyone?" I asked as I made my way to the kitchen and opened the fridge door. Pulling out the milk, I set it aside on the counter and flicked the kettle to life as the water began to bubble and stir.

"Aaron was gone by the time I woke up and Susie said she was going out for a couple of hours" Marks voice trailed into the kitchen as I reached for a couple of mugs from the counter above my head and set them down next to the milk and kettle

"Oh" I said as I put a spoonful of sugar and coffee in one cup "Coffee?" I called

"No thanks, i've got one" He replied as I poured the freshly boiled water into the mug before adding some milk.

"So what happened last night?" I asked warily as I began to stir my coffee, the metal of the spoon clanging agains the ceramic cup

"Nothing really, Aaron dropped me off here before rushing back of again" Mark said as I took my cup of coffee and walked into the living room with it.

"Why, where'd he go?" I asked curiously

"Dunno, I think he dropped his wallet and went to go find it"

"Right..." I rolled my eyes and smirked knowingly. He sure hadn't lost his purse

"What? Where else would he have gone?"

"Begins with a T, ends with an A"

"But he'd already gone there, why would he go back for a second time"

"God knows" I sighed "So then what?"

"I just went to bed, I was tired"

"Did you sleep in the spare room?"

"Yeah, I went to tell you Aaron went out again but then I heard you and Susie talking in your room so figured she'd be staying there"

"Yeah" I nodded before my mind drifted onto where Susie was right now. "So... do you know exactly where she went this morning?"