Prolouge and pre-pudding

<Adrenaline- Lauv>

Remembering what you said
Now I'm laying alone in bed
Trying to wrap up this feeling
Falling apart instead

My mother had this vase. As a child, I didn't understand why she valued this object so much. It was the heart of her affection; she loved it so much. She took pride when she dusted it, her eyes glinting with glee.

Whenever I got close, she barked for me to back off. I didn't understand it; why did she like it so much? It's just a vase.

And being a curious kid, I wanted to find out. She always called it delicate, beautiful, special, one-of-a-kind. But why?

One day I grabbed a chair from the dinning room, I dragged it to the mantel where the vase sat. I climbed until I reached the object, grabbing the vase in my tiny hands.

Only now did I notice the gold trimmings on the lines of the vase. It was an oval shape, the bottom of it stretched out to create a base. The inside looked like someone stuffed a funnel and molded it into the clay to create the inside.
It had a blue shimmer and grey lines all over it.

It was beautiful.

I understood why my mother took so much care and pride into it, now. I was intrigued with it; I wanted it. I wanted it for myself and I trusted myself to take great care for it, to make sure it stays safe. It was now my possession; mine, forever.

As I climbed off the chair with the vase, it slipped from my grasp and fell to the floor. I watched in shock as it shattered in pieces, scattered around everywhere. My jaw hung wide, fear engulfing my body.

When a child is caught doing something bad, they usually do one of three things: run and pretend it never happened. Clean it up and tell no one, Or tell on themselves.

I ran.

-Nine years later-

I panted, grasping onto my knees as I tried to catch a breath. "Fuck," I hissed, throwing my head back to breathe in the New Jersey morning crisp air.

"son of a bitch!" he shouted from behind me, finally catching up. "Mom is still pissed off, she said go back to the house and finish packing."

"I don't want to move to that damn town!" I stomped my foot into the dirt beneath me like a child. To be fair, I practically am. I don't need to be mature until I can legally drive a car without an adult- at least that's what I think. "Aren't you going to miss this place, bro? All our friends are here-"

"You mean, our one friend. I'm good with moving, maybe-"

"No, that stupid town is stupid. I'm not packing up my stuff, neither are you. Don't you want to stay here with your girlfriend?"

"Yeah..." he glanced down at his shoes, "Haven't you noticed she's been distant lately? I'm worried,"

"About? She obviously loves you, idiot. There's nothing to worry about." He nodded and smiled but it wasn't convincing.

"What if there's new opportunities there? You could find a girl for yourself, and we can make more friends and stuff. It could be good for the both of us."

"I-"

"And I don't know why you're so against moving, we still have to go, anyways. It's for dad-" he cut me off, seeming to remind himself, also.

"Ethan! Grayson! You both better get back here, now!" Our mother called from behind the grass filled hill.

"Shit." Both my twin and I said at the same time. "Coming!" the guy who likes to call himself my brother, shouted. "Look, after we finish packing, I'm inviting my Kat over. I'm going to have...a serious talk with her, don't interrupt like you did last time, okay?"

"Talk," I scoffed, "is that code for sex now?" I chuckled while waggling my brows then dodged his backhand.

"Come on, asshat," he grunted, pulling at my shirt as I just rolled my eyes with a huff.

I hated the idea of moving.
But only did I know that my vase was living in the new town. Okay, that's pretty fucking sappy to say, but, my prized possession was going to be in that god forsaken town. I didn't know at the time, but she was going to be in that town. My whole life was going to be there- my downfall and rise.

If I were to know then, would I complain about moving so much, still? I don't know. Would I go back and redo all the shit that happened between me and my vase and...everyone?

Again, I don't know. Is it worth it? Is she worth It?

You tell me.

•••

"What-" I only got a word out before I was spinning on my heels, my feet acting on their own accord and running side by side with the new Walmart criminal on the loose. The woman behind us was now hollering, yelling and screaming for us to come back.

But I didn't pay any mind to her, my attention was on the Jeep that was in my view and getting closer and closer by each step I took. Ethan's grip on my hand became tighter as we reached the car, as if he didn't want to let go and a small split second part of me didn't want to ether.

With a tug on my side, so we could split and get into the car, he huffed and let go, running to his side of the Jeep and quickly getting in. I jumped into my seat, hitting the dashboard in anxiety that the small woman would come barreling towards us.

I was scared.
I was worried.

Now, how did I end up here? It started with a stupid pig, a dumb guy friend, alcohol, an ass kicking and an wild adventure into Walmart. But, before I can get to that, you need to get the first part straight.