Proper Jewel

Edited 

Days passed by. The sun dipped down behind the forest trees in beautiful summer colours, somedays a clear canvas in the sky, somedays clouded by clouds. Honey Rose continued her nightly visits to James' room, they spoke about everything and nothing. It was not long before James had sensed something was wrong, afraid that he was the cause of her unease, he overcompensated in funny tales and emotional drama that he had witnessed on his travels. Honey Rose laughed till her sides ached and cried and gasped constantly interrupting the storytelling with interjections. When she was with James she wanted to tell him but she noticed that he was constantly filling the silence.

She had returned to her parents the following day, accepted their apologies and told them that nothing from her past had changed. Yet, she had wondered out loud if there was any way she could contact her biological father's family. Her parents had welcomed the idea and said that they would begin the contact.

On the 4th night since her discovery, Honey-Rose allowed James to begin his ramblings, he had created a blanketed floor space by the fire. Despite it being summer and days being long, the weather was still on the cooler side.

James began a story about an Arab trader who spoke 6 languages and dressed better than debutantes at a ball,

"He's actually invited me to Cairo,"

"And your travels never took you past the Mediterranean, " Honey Rose was in awe,

"I would love to go and maybe you with me,"

"Really?" Honey's eyes glittered in the firelight, "That would be a dream,"

"Then perhaps I will have to take up the offer Mustapha had so generously extended,"

"I can't wait," Honey's thoughts trailed off and she coughed uncomfortably. They would have to marry before they could plan anything. James felt the shift in the room, he scanned his mind for something to fill the void. The fear was from a place of insecurity afraid that Honey had realised her mistake taking him back into her life. Afraid that he was not deserving of her.

"I must tell you something quite strange," Honey began,

"I think I'd rather you not," James leaned forward to kiss Honey and she openly accepted the affection. It was soft and tender, James prolonged the kiss by stroking Honey's cheek, he knew her weak spots.

"But I must," she gasped, pulling away, she placed her finger on his lip and pleaded silently with her eyes. James braced himself.

"I found out a few days ago that Lady Kate and Sir Micheal are not my biological parents," Honey continued filling in with every detail, she cried when talking about how she felt as a child and smiled slightly at the parts that involved her loving parents.

James followed all her words, relief washing him like a wave of warm consolation. As she spoke she found her way onto his lap, his arms hugging her safely. When she had finished, James laughed,

"By golly, it seems you have the most interesting story to tell,"

Honey chuckled lightly and looked up at James through wet lashes, James planted kisses all over her head and forehead.

"I know this may sound strange to you, Honey but this is the perfect time to ask your parents for permission,"

"Permission for what" Honey began before it dawned,

"For the blessing to live our lives together, forever," James smiled brightly. James gently pushed his fiance-to-be off his lap and went to his drawer pulling out a small box. Honey gasped in disbelief at what was happening, kneeling on one leg, he opened the box revealing a gold band with an encrusted green emerald. James had chosen the emerald to contrast against Honey's red hair.

Tears fell silently, as Honey lost for words laughed and nodded her head frantically, James expressed in a wide-eyed grin,

"Don't accept just yet, let me say the words I have been rehearsing for years, I found this ring in a market in the south of France and I never believed I would actually be able to give it to you," he paused, inhaling deeply.

"My Honey, I was half a shell when I was without you,

everywhere I saw beauty or kindness, I was reminded of you.

My heartbeat weak, I could not live without you,

Because you are part of me. I have endured enough pain being away from you

and I want to ensure that it will never happen again. Will do me the honour of being my wife and making me whole and the happiest man alive?"

Honey in tears and her heart glowing, knelt up to embrace her future husband. She knocked them backwards in a tumble of joy, and hope for the future. As they lay there, in a tight embrace, Honey holding her hand up to the light to inspect the Jewel on her left hand.

"The only jewel I see is this one," James nuzzled his head in her neck, kissing her lightly.