Proper Courtship

Edited 

The day passed at an agonisingly slow pace. Rosalie had found her way at the front of the house, sitting on a step watching the sunbow out. The sky dipped like a watercolour landscape of lilac and rose.

"What is the lady thinking about?" he said, leaning on the bannister at the bottom of the stairs. Her head had been so distant she had not even heard him.

Blake moved up the stairs and sat one step below Rosalie, he gently placed a hand on her knee, drawing circles with his thumb.

"Nothing," she lied,

"Liar,"

"How did it go with my father?" Rosalie asked, barely looking away from the God's art on the horizon.

Blake said drawing out an 'm' on her knees, "Your father has given us his blessing,"

Rosalie broke into a smile of pure disbelief, "Really?"

His fingers had moved on to trace an 'a' and double 'r'. Rosalie threw back a laugh, her eyes glittering, Blake had drawn a 'y' and pressed two fingers down then traced another 'm' and 'e' against the cotton of her dress.

Rosalie was unaware of what the letters spelt, she hadn't been paying attention to them. She threw her arms around Blake and tumbled on to him, kissing his neck, she moved the kiss upwards, along his cheek and pulling on his earlobe. It ripped a ripple of desire through Blake.

"I hadn't realised how much waiting for his permission had put me on edge," she whispered into his ears. Blake held her tighter, shifting so he would be more comfortable on the step.

"I am still on edge," he mumbled into her hair,

"Why is that?" she had raised her head to look up at him, her arms woven around his upper arms to support her position.

"Your father made me aware of some things," he began.

Rosalie's curious expression deepened into her features, "I do not understand," she started "What things?"

Rosalie pulled her body backwards and slid herself off Blake to sit beside him, "Things we should talk about,"

"What do you mean?" she asked, completely confused.

"I may have omitted that I would ask for your hand in marriage rather than simple courtship," Blake said, feeling it unnecessary to look at Rosalie when he admitted the truth.

"Pardon?" Rosalie had broken into French from the shock, "Tu as fait quoi?" she repeated herself in English, "You ... what?"

Blake kept quiet, allowing the words to sink in. He turned to her bewildered face, she was a picture of shock.

"Why would you...why did you do that? What about my say?" Rosalie was spitting every thought of shock that came to her mind.

"We will still continue with the courtship, it's just that where I see our end or beginning,"

"You mean to say you lied to me, Blake." Rosalie finally said, there was no anger or disappointment in her tone, Blake couldn't detect her emotions, she had withdrawn.

"Would you have supported my decision to ask permission from your father to marry you?" Blake asked with too little energy, he did not give her time to answer "Of course you wouldn't have,"

"It's true," she began, "but do you not believe it is too soon to start planning our future together,"

"Some people require months to feel confident they know the person they want to marry whilst others know it on sight, I only required a matter of hours to feel it and a few days to comprehend that you were the one," Blake hoped his honesty could sway her, he was unsure of what she was thinking. He'd never seen her so blank from emotions. She was avoiding eye contact with him, her eyes flitting everywhere except to his.