Improper care

Edited

That evening, the arrival of the guest added a dimension to the formality of dinner. Everyone regrouped in the drawing-room before heading into the dining parlour. Blake introduced his cousin to her potential saviour. The meeting was one of instant dislike, Alyssa was not so small-minded to be oblivious to his presence.

"An honour to make your acquaintance," Sir Chadworth addressed Alyssa. Blake stood close to the two.

"I presume you have already made my so-called acquaintance through letters," Alyssa had no desire to be polite to the startlingly handsome stranger. She was riled to a point of anger when Blake had the audacity to introduce him to her, without forewarning. If she had met him at a ball and he had asked her for a dance, she would have been flattered, he was a chiselled Adonis, the midnight blue of his coat, contrasting to his black hair and bright eyes.  Yet here, she was cornered and she could only lash out in anger.

Sir Chadworth was taken aback, for such a frail woman who could fall over if someone sneezed near her, he thought the words she used were strong.

"You mistake me for my brother," Sir Chadworth commenced eyeing his old friend as he continued his lie, "I have heard of your condition but I am here for the sake of an old friend, not you." Blake was bemused by the situation that had just unfolded. The words 'you' sent a direct shot of confusing jitters coursing down Alyssa's spine.

"I am the youngest of twins, my brother Carlton is the one your words of anger should be directed to," Ethan continued. Alyssa straightened her lips, her pride would not allow her to apologise.

"Then permit me to ask why the timing is such a coincidence,"

It was becoming harder for Ethan to view her as a patient when she showed no patience and her voice gave the illusion that her skeletal body and her offensive mind were not joined.

"There are things that cannot be explained, it just happened to be this way, probably for a good reason," Ethan watched as her sunken face grimaced slightly. He was sure that she must have been a classic English rose before. The vibrancy still lay in her eyes, eyes he found difficult to not notice, like two sapphires they almost consumed her face. He was looking at her, yet he felt he could not really see her.

"As you say, Doctor. I don't believe your words but believe mine. I am not in any condition and I don't need your help," Alyssa had had enough. He was unnerving her beyond any comprehension. She turned on her heel to find a seat. Ethan stood dumbfounded as the lady left him, he was sure she was refusing to admit she was sick. He would have his work cut out.

The evening passed pleasantly. Despite Alyssa's icy words and snarky comments. The starters of roasted peppers and cheese with freshly baked bread ignited a conversation of college and university meals. The main course was the freshly imported Chinese rice that bemused everyone. The cook had tried hard to impress everyone. Rosalie noted that Ethan had grown on her, his demeanour observant yet lined with humour.

"What do you think of this rice, Miss Rosalie?" Ethan asked,

"I'm quite familiar with it, it was one of my mother's favourites, although quite hard to find." She remarked. Sir Micheal sucked in an air of breath, Rosalie had forgotten as his niece, her mother was supposed to have passed away when she was young and she wouldn't have these memories. Guilt flooded his demeanour when he realised the lies he had forced on Rosalie.

After a rich cherry pie with clotted cream, the party moved to the living room for some spontaneous entertainment. Alyssa who had forced a bite of each course to please her parents and prove a point to the guest, yet done with her pretence requested to retire early. Ethan had been pulled to scrutinise the girl constantly through the night, that when she asked to leave, he was sure he would feel her absence.