Nightmares

That evening Honey battled with something inside her, two years ago she would have done the journey to his room blindfolded using only her sense of touch to direct her, but she felt as though she should reconsider her next intentions. Their time apart had matured their innocence.

One step at a time, Honey made her way she tried not to overthink. Her thoughts allowed themselves to be slumbered, "One step at a time,". She turned the knob expecting the door to be locked but the soft click of the door surprised her. The rain hitting the windowpane had muffled the noise and Honey slipped in unnoticed, she could see that there was nobody in the bed and the candlelit room indicated James would be in his washroom. Feeling awkward Honey paced the room and decided to make her presence known,

"James," she whispered.

James heard her voice and struggled to suppress his happiness, he hadn't known if she'd agreed, his uncle had interrupted them after he had posed the question. He put a robe on above his nightclothes and left the room, his hair dripping with water. Honey smiled shyly when he came out and she tried to ignore how endearing he looked without his hair combed,

"You came," he whispered,

"You asked me to,"

The two settled on the floor at foot of the bed, James passed a pillow for Honey to rest her back,

"When I left, It took me ages to fall back into a sleeping routine," James explained,

"Why was that?"

"I was used to embracing a warm bed intruder, I believe she was called Honey Rose," Honey threw her pillow at him and giggled,

"Is that so," she raised an eyebrow. James expression went serious but there was an attempt to lighten the situation.

"Yes, it was hard, I knew I had left her, I knew it was my fault but I couldn't help but miss what we had," Honey crawled over to James, wrapping her arms around him and leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Forget it, please. Let us move on, there is a reason why the fates chose us to be together." She looked up, "maybe another girl would not allow you to resume what we had, but I promise Honey Rose is willing to pick up where you left off,"

"I'm lucky to have fallen for such a forgiving beauty," he whispered in her hair. Honey sighed and James tightened his grip. He allowed his fingertips to caress the shape of her neck. Placing a kiss on top of her fiery red hair, he played with the end of the tresses. The light movements tickled Honey's neck,

"It tickles," she murmured, rolling her shoulder to prevent it. James moved his finger to dig into her sides and tickle her intentionally. She jerked uncontrollably, laughter escaping with tears. His hands roamed finding her sensitive spots and causing even more laughter and resistance.

"Please, " she wheezed " stop," tears were rolling down her cheeks. James was sure he had never seen her so frantically beautiful, her smile and rosy cheeks. He obeyed her request and placed his lips against hers, a lovely reconnection between them. Warm love and comfort spread as they gently kissed one another falling into a rhythm of familiarity. They held each other in the embrace, afraid to let go and disrupt the bubble of dreams. Honey yawned against his chest. The action did not go unnoticed and so he arranged for the two of them to get into bed. Just as before, despite the many nights alone across the globe, the two found slumber easily. The sound of the rains tapping falling into a rhythmic background soundtrack to their complete reconnection.

Unbeknownst to the two sleeping figures, the rain had picked up a violent rhythm and the wind had increased in speed, the trees swayed incessantly increasing in noise as they hit each other. James stirred in his sleep, his subconscious awakening slightly, his heart accelerated in pace, sweat filling his brow and his dreams grew sombre. The violent storm brewing outside finally let out a clap of thunder, a sound rumbling into the depths of James dreams. His nightmares had returned him to the day he had thought he'd lost his brother and the woman he loved.

His breathing quickened, still in his slumber and not in control of his bodies reactions, he flayed helplessly, his mouth opened to shout their names but his throat chocked and spluttering coughs escaped. Honey wrapped in his arms had awakened startled and in the light of the moon was focusing her vision on James.

"Honey," he shouted, "Blake,"

"I'm right here, my love," Honey soothed, caressing his chest. His arms flew and nearly hit her, she aimed to grab it.

James shouts, increased in frequency and Honey felt tears escape her eyes. She could see his suffering and not prevent nor stop it. In the months he had been alone, had he suffered this fit often?

She grabbed his face in her hands, "James, wake up, my love," she said aloud, without a care of who would hear. At that moment her only concern was to awaken him from the nightmare, free him of this pain that paralysed him. Tears fell into his face, "My love, wake up," the order came as a whisper and she crumbled onto his chest, sobs wracking her body. The whisper had penetrated through the darkness of his dreams.

"Honey," James whispered, Honey, shot up searching to see if James was conscious. She fell back onto him, hugging him close.

"I'm sorry," she cried, "I didn't know you suffered so deeply,"

James felt his heartache, he wiped the sweat off his brow and neck with his sleeve and took deep breaths to regain control of his heart.

"It is not your fault, my love. None of It is," James aimed to send comforting words, "It is my guilty conscience,"

"You are guilty of nothing," Honey had risen to stare into James green eyes, her hair curtaining her face, she was the image of a distressed woman, "I forgive you, I am sorry, it was all a huge mistake and we will learn from it." She tried for different words to show how much she wanted to move onwards to the future, release the chains of imprisonment from the past.

"I know, my love. However, I need to forgive myself,"