Chapter 07: A Timely Delay, Hong Manor Twins (III)

Walking the grove of sycamore trees, were the leisurely pair, Hong Naoyu and Emi. Strolling through the dirt pathway, passed several shishi-odoshi, the bamboo water fountains crisply knocking in tune with one another. Both were shielded by trees, listening to the pouring rain and echoing thunder, swallowed in serenely eerie music.

 Both were shielded by trees, listening to the pouring rain and echoing thunder, swallowed in serenely eerie music

They neared the large ruined gates.

Even after days passed, mist could still be seen surrounding Forbearing Bygone. In fact even on normal days free of rain mist was always there. The crawling vines are more abundant than ever, the moss suffocating the wood. The imposing sight surprisingly was more intimidating than it had been days before.

Both paused while crossing the threshold, shivers stirring up panic in the both of them. Yet it was as if it hadn't, for neither had stopped.

Able to go further than any sane person would, they stepped into the shadow of the monster clawing at them, roaring a buzz into their ears, warning them to turn around and to leave at once.

But there was no monster. Just a dilapidated building.

Hong Naoyu paused. She reached down to grab soaked fabric.

Crunch-crunch-crunch!

Hurried footsteps faced through the gate. Aura blazing with heat steams the rain. The tip of a green blade arrives at the throat of Hong Naoyu as she stands up and turns around.

Shhh! Cloth tears, and shrerk! The umbrella forcefully opens!

A crisp clang and a shriek gargles in agony. "AHWHGHSaahhh....ahh...uhh..uuu"

An explosion of steam completely destroyed visibility, the cloud too thick to even see your nose. Only the sounds of death gurgles made it through the fog.

The steam clears, a red circular object comes into view. With a shake the red falls away, drenching the ground in blood and chunks of skin. That object was Emi's umbrella.

Right by her side the melted knife drips down blades of grass.

Standing there safe and clean, Hong Naoyu chuckles sardonically. "Those rumors, without once testing the waters, are you also one who believed them to be fake? Produced at my and my sister's behest? Ha."

Slowly, she took one step at a time. She walks closer and closer with a hum to her tone.

"It goes without saying that a 'mere' courtyard is far from 'interesting' enough for the several factions stinking up the air of this lord's abode. It isn't even a well kept secret either, and for such negligence, how many watered this ground with their blood, mmm?"

Chee, her foot smashed into pieces of bloody meat as she made her way closer. Despite the mess, she doesn't seem to care.

"Can't you sense it?"