Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death

"Ah Luo, marry me, or die." A mind numbing voice called out from above.

Falling from the sky, an eerie figure lands atop the broken remains of roof, ones from a lone courtyard swallowed in a blizzard enraged forest.

The wood crunches underneath his weight. The fallen snow powders on his blazing aura, a tangible force exuding from those lean muscles, melting the snow down his sharp cheeks, pointed ears and chin. That tall and lithe body cloaked in black lurks toward the chair of a raven haired woman, those locks of silver dancing with the snow and wind.

In the dispersing dust the woman sat serenely composed. She raises her sleeve to clean the surface of her desk. Silently withdrawn, she knocks the fallen splinters and snow into the trash bin.

Blue with a touch of white, her long blue robe flutters in the breeze against the white snow. The sight miraculously shutters the cold air with a touch of longing, a bittersweet sight craving for spring but forever locked in winter, just like the weak heart beating a few layers beneath.

Only after being sure of the cleanliness of her space did she direct her sight to the window. The usual clear glass had fogged over. In the murky reflection was a demanding tyrant with unnerving eyes stalking behind her.

Clicking against the hardwood floor, the sound of his boots stalked forward, the crunch of wood edging closer, the cracking pops synced with her own heartbeat, which was, despite suspense weighing heavily on the shoulder——–surprisingly calm.

Snap! The man stops, he leans forward. His anger crushed his palms to the chair's back. Such a heart stirring sound as the wood ached beneath his fingers, bearing the weight of his silent fury. Through the foggy reflection, his eyes, chaotic and desolate, locked onto the woman.

Leafy Green eyes to wooden brown, gloomy emotions facing off against serenity. The cold room became even colder and neither budged in this moment muffled by the fallen snow.

Although she needed not to ponder an answer, the woman still took her time to observe the man.

A swirl of snow powders the air with both her and him at the center, the backdrop of white chills his silhouette, making her own tenebrous form appear wispy.

It did not take any amount of knowledge to know, by just the sight of these two, a complex story of twist and turns exists between them both. A story quite like the fleeting snow falling around them.

Yet just like the snow would eventually stop, this moment had reached its end, this story, a tragedy that never attempted to be anything else, was now penning itself upon the last page.

This brief silence disturbed by the utterance of a sigh, had lasted no more than ten slow breaths.

Mozen, the woman colder than the snow powdering her hair and shoulders, raised her chin, looked right through Liu Rougang, the eerie tyrant's soul stirring eyes and answered.

"No."

• • • •

The twelfth month of the year was nearing its end. It was long past the twenty second day, which ushered the coming of winter. The days henceforth had been cold with a dust of snow powdering the tops of the Vermilion Forest. Even the crystal clear windows of this wilderness's only clinic had frosted over in ice. The candles flickering inside showed no sign of breaching the cold air, unable to warm the glass they hid behind.

The window shutters open, a hand reached out and let the cold inside. Draped by a long sheer sleeve it pressed against the window, pushed it open and knocked down a layer of built up snow, allowing a red shadow to break free and into the sky.