Chapter 03: Forest Full of Memories

Hong Luo carried the man for such a long distance that her entire body was aching and complaining. Simple exhaustion to the high pain threshold developed over several years. She groans of frustration and curses directed at herself, her words baffling then amusing the semi conscious man.

"Oh, Luo Luo you lazy fool, it's little wonder that anything can ever get done. Gosh, just a little fatigue and already aching for the forest floor." She scoffs then nearly trips over a curved root. She glares at her feet and proceeds to grumble. "Even better, my feet have betrayed me as well. What would mom and dad think if they saw me now? In less time it would take to blink, mom would pummel me to the ground with no mercy! Two black eyes, a brushed butt, Ugh! Mother's temper is so..."

"Oh!" Suddenly she pauses and tilts her head in amazement. "That mystery that befuddles Sheng'er finally has an answer. How could I not connect the dots that my temper came from my mother rather than my father? Extraordinary, aha!" In a better mood, she pushes forward ignoring her 'exhaustion' she misunderstood. At this point she still hasn't realized her own body's condition, the terrible shape that it's in, the injuries, the ravenous hunger, and more importantly the fever being kept in check by the chilling rain.

The man going in and out of consciousness had some idea towards her condition. Sadly whether this had any effect on him or not, he wasn't sharing. How unfortunate.

When Hong Luo comes into a large opening, with the sound of waves crashing against rocky shores, with the trees blocking out the rain, she decides to take a short break alongside Serpents Cove. Looking towards the center of the Cove she's overcome with the desire to admire the solitary isle with its lone tree blossoming stunning white flowers, ones she naturally recalls the mind relaxing scent of.

Simply breathtaking, shrouded in mystery and intrigue. A place gathering dust in the oldest of memories she cherishes close to her heart. The swing hanging from the tree full of laughter and smiles. Even now, through the foggy rain, the memories come into reality, appearing off in the distance, squeezing a yearning heart hoping for the impossible. But it's too late, if this, whatever this is, is in fact real, then she's come back far too late in life. How it kills her inside knowing this fact.

She wishes the rain would stop for a mere moment, only so she could smell that familiar, sweet, floral scent in the wind. A cup of warm milky matcha in hand, a few freshly picked berries, and with the sun hitting the water just right as her legs sway the swing. Yes, that sounds like a lovely enjoyable moment to rest and relax. Unfortunately even if the rain were to stop, the overpowering smell of wet earth, so bitter and cold, would not allow for this simple wish to come to pass, especially with how soft the scent of catalpa flowers are.

That's it, she slaps her leg to stand. She must come back at a later time. Slowly she gets off the small ledge and continues on. Through the thick foliage, her and the man who had long fallen asleep, disappear.

The forest is calm but not at all quiet. The sounds of torrential rain hums from above the canopy, the crystal clear water droplets beat drums on the grass and brush below. A constant melody of rushing streams sing off to the right, finishing off the chorus with serene tranquility.

Many miles walked and they've yet to slow at all. Not until a shadow passes by Hong Luo's vision and something large lands on her head. The shadow runs in front of her and stops to look back.

"Come on Luo'er, daddy's going to leave you like a log in the mud if you keep lagging behind like that." The large figure in a ripped shirt and muddy pants drops his outreached hand. He smiles broadly and with confidence he laughs as if amused by Hong Luo's expression.

"Da-dad?" Taking a step forward, an unbelieving look in her eyes. Ho-how could he be here? I thought...I shouldn't be...I was at uncle's not at...my memory, was it wrong? Or is this truly not...