Chapter 04: Nahele of the Forest

The ground shook, two large booms echoed from the left to right. Surprisingly nothing else happened after the rumbling of the ground subsided. Slowly in confusion, the man inspects the situation, which admittedly what he sees confuses him even further.

The two ferocious beasts were not trying to eat them but instead... inspected them? With what kind of expressions were those? He was, for the first time in centuries, speechless beyond repair. He honestly could not understand the emotions on those beasts' faces but they most certainly were not the bloodthirsty ones he was expecting to see.

The leopard nudged Hong Luo's cheek whilst the gorilla tugs on her robe. Both looked quite out of place with those aggrieved eyes of brown and green.

Shhh! A ripping sound startles the leopard mid lick. She looks up at the panic stricken ape. Teeming with an angry warning, her raspy growl is followed up by a harsh snap at the unintelligent primate for daring to destroy the cloth.

The gorilla roared back, its large hand reached out to smack the stinky feline spitting in his face, but unexpectedly he was the one struck. A whine reverberated from his throat whilst looking downcast at the perpetrator, wondering why she hit him. He felt terribly wronged, but the one he cried to did not seem fazed.

"Enough is enough. Sit straight and no fighting." Both stop and amazingly follow the girl's words, a snack not big enough to fill the gaps in their teeth, listening so well like domesticated pets, the sight so terrifyingly intriguing.

Hong Luo continues to lecture. "What has happened to your manners? Your roaring has my ears ringing, your petty squabbles have needlessly destroyed beautiful scenery, the existing harmony of the forest's two apex predators gone like smoke in the wind. Mo Yin, so simple and abiding I understand, but Mo Meifeng? What did he do this time that fluffs up your fur to such a degree, huh? And please, prove me wrong, I'd rather not know if it was truly a petty reason resolved without such nonsense."

Hong Luo was flabbergasted and huffing air, completely not expecting such a reunion with these two. Trained and supervised by her monstrous parents, her mother and father did not spoil them rotten, in fact the amount of pain these two suffered through could rival the salt content of the ocean. So why, why had their learnings' degraded by such a large margin? Surely they haven't forgotten what awaited them, if for whatever reason they disobey their masters' clear cut instructions? Or perhaps with them gone, becoming lax and over confident, they naively assumed no consequence could be meted?

Watching them avoid her line of sight, she was not at all surprised that the both of them remained quiet. As expected, Hong Luo inwardly sighed. It was just as she deduced, they truly thought, like children left alone for too long, that the throne had become theirs and were on top of the world, like newly crowned kings and queens. Nothing could stop them, they probably assumed. And they would be right, only if 'she'd' never returned like it would have ought to be. Now? Oh, she'd cross her arms if she could, but instead settled for a 'harmless' smile and 'sweet' head tilt.

"No answer, huh? That's fine, there's no need for a 'verbal' one. So have my words treated as rhetoric." Innocently rolling her eyes across the scene of the crime, she inadvertently watches the naive beasts relax. With a slight chuckle, "what's left can be said and done once returning home. ---Now then, quickly dismiss those others and hurry back. The sun will be setting soon, and I wish not to walk through the woods in the dark, especially during such weather. Off with you."

Tail wagging and feet hopping up and down, those two 'gullible' giants rushed off to roar away those noisy bunch, glee obviously exciting them over 'escaping' trouble and the punishment for said wrong doings. Hong Luo just shook her head at the sight, no longer paying them any mind, especially since the patient on her back was writing for her attention.