Chapter 11: Calm Before the Storm (II)

Jingle—

Located deep into the capital on the corner of main street, the door to the Herbary opened, ringing the bell hanging alongside it. A young girl dressed like silk pants degenerate walked inside. Closing the umbrella with a shake, the servant girl Emi stood in the doorway and shook off the water behind her master.

Hong Naoyu flicked off the water dampening her clothes. Playfully she looped her finger in the tassel of her fan, swirling it around a few times before flicking it open.

"This establishment does not welcome idlers and snakes. Leave," spoke a man sitting behind the counter while his long fingers flicked the abacus.

Dressed in a gray tight fitting hanfu, Lan Qian, the shopkeeper sat straight with his head tilted down. The shadows cast on his sharp but pale features made his scholarly aura turn gentler. His long black hair scattering over his white kimono jacket looked inky and elegant. Those long curly lashes teased his hooded amber eyes. He sat there like a locked book beckoning the reader to turn the page. To understand the deep seeded thoughts the author weaved into his life's budding masterpiece.

After a few moments he frowned. Looking to the left he picked up a half pound weight and added it to the scale. While Hong Naoyu rolled her eyes, Lan Qian's brightened. He picked up his brush pen, dipped it in ink, and wrote fervently in his book.

"Ah you know- Qian, most of the patrons are idling snakes waiting to take a bite. If not for the stamp of Lan, they would steal if they could. Nobody likes wasting gold if it need not be wasted." Hong Naoyu propped her butt on the table, pushing both the abacus and scale to the side.

"Mind your own." Lan Qian frowned when that rump entered his view. Why must she always act like a scoundrel without manners?

"Ah but what if I don't want to?" Hong Naoyu chuckled. Who was it that tipped his scale? He's unusually grumpy today.

"Then keep quiet." Dotting his sentence, Lan Qian reached out for the hour glass and flipped it.

"It's strange and unlike you." Ignoring his words, Hong Naoyu leaned down and grabbed his book. "Hating your father is one thing but letting him bleed money is another. Especially for someone who treats money better than his dogs. Say, what did he do this time, huh?"

Lan Qian tried to grab the book but Hong Naoyu switched hands and held it high above, right out of reach. Looking down at his irritated face, she felt a surge of emotions tickle out a toothy grin. She lifted her nose to the air, shaking the book teasingly.

"Hand it here."

"Don't want to."

"Naoyu." Lan Qian commanded, his eye twitching.

"Oh- how scary." Hong Naoyu shivered. "The eye twitch is a little much though. Are you broken? Would you like me to help you fix yourself? You just need to follow the plan M.E and your problems will be solved. Don't worry, it's been tested and approved."

"Ugh." Lan Qian grumbled. He mumbled under his breath. "Idiot."

Hong Naoyu guffawed, slapping her leg in her humorous outburst. If he just answered like usual, he wouldn't be grumbling. How cute.

"You really want it back?" Hong Naoyu bent her waist, their noses were inches away while their eyes locked, amber to brown. "Then answer my question Qianqian. What happened?"

Lan Qian pushed her face away. Hong Naoyu didn't dodge. She looked at him, patiently waiting for his answer, her cunning eyes peeking through his fingers.

Lan Qian's thoughts rolled through his mind. His mouth twitched. He grit his teeth and slapped the table. The abacus beads clanked at his abrupt actions and the scale swayed back and forth.